Textedit icons

Reaction score
I am having problems with the default icons on textedit files. The icon that appears in get-info does not appear on my files. Instead, I get what appears to be a generic 'rtf' icon. I cannot find a way to set the default icon.

Any suggestions.

OS X EL CAPITAN version 10.11.6

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

These are the default icons for TextEdit, depending on the type of document that is created:

textedit.png

Are you getting a different icon than those?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

These are the default icons for TextEdit, depending on the type of document that is created:

textedit.png

Are you getting a different icon than those?

C
Get info displays the proper icon, but it does not display on the desktop. I can cut and paste the correct icon from an old file into get info and then it displays, but text edit does not create it for new files. It displays as a generic icon with rtf on the bottom.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Right-click or Control-click on the Desktop in Finder and select Show View Options. In the Desktop window that pops up, uncheck Show icon preview.

Let us know if that works.

C

Reaction score
Get info displays the proper icon, but it does not display on the desktop. I can cut and paste the correct icon from an old file into get info and then it displays, but text edit does not create it for new files. It displays as a generic icon with rtf on the bottom.
icon.jpg
Here is a copy of the icon.
OK, thanks.

Right-click or Control-click on the Desktop in Finder and select Show View Options. In the Desktop window that pops up, uncheck Show icon preview.

Let us know if that works.

C
Yes, it worked. Thank you very much. I felt [hoped] there was an easy solution, but I don't think I would ever have found it by myself.

Ask a Question