TextEdit problem after updating to High Sierra

Reaction score
I just updated to High Sierra and now TextEdit is acting strange. When I open a previously created TextEdit document, it does not display the entire document, ie, I can only scroll down so far in the document. Then if I resize (enlarge) the window ever so slightly, then I can scroll to the bottom of the document. Is there a fix?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Robert G, could you take a screenshot of the Text Edit window before you have to resize it? If you don't already know how, use Shift Command 4, then place the mouse cursor within the Text Edit window & press Spacebar then click the mouse button to take a grab of just the Text Edit window. This would be most helpful to enable us to help you.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't remember the way Text Edit behaved with Sierra (now on High Sierra), but I see what you mean. In actuality, sometimes it depends on the format of the document. I just tried Text Edit with some documents, and for ones which are .txt, yes, the screen which opens is rather small. in that only part of the document is visible. Without resizing, as the op noted, one needs to scroll down to see more. For one of the documents, though, with a format as .rtfd, it did open the document with a larger amount of text, at least vertically. But with a format as .rtf, same behavior as ones with .txt.

I did not see any Text Edit Preference setting to change that behavior. Using Microsoft Word 2016 to open such documents, however, they would open using the entire screen.

Reaction score
What I have found is that when you open a TextEdit document, before you do anything else, put the cursor at the bottom of the scroll bar and click. This will bring you to the bottom of the document. From there you can work on the document.

Reaction score
TextEdit > Preferences. then in the New Document pane you can change default window size. Not a perfect solution but it may help.

Ask a Question