Keep window on top (textedit).

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanna know what app I should use to keep the textedit window always on top when using other programs such as chrome etc?
Also if the app in question works for other programs then that's a bonus!

Have heard "afloat" works but have seen some terrible reviews on it, saying that it didn't work for certain versions of mac.
I also tried to download it from https://afloat.en.softonic.com/mac but they only had afloat for OSX 10.9.
I am running OSX Lion 10.7.5. Any suggestion for where to get afloat for 10.7? Or another app altogether?

Many thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Afloat is managed on GitHub. Since it is actually a SIMBL plugin, it doesn't have a normal installer, and requires additional software and compiling to install. I wouldn't recommend installing it if you are not familiar with GitHub, compiling, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other solutions. When I use multiple apps simultaneously, I simply resize he windows so they are easily clickable, or use Spaces in full-screen mode to quickly move between them using keyboard commands.

If I find anything additional, I will let you know.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm using Mac OS 10.7.5 & tried to install SIMBL then Afloat but I couldn't see any Afloat options in Text Edit Window or View menus nor could I find any online tutorials for Lion so it just wasn't straightforward enough to get it to work.

If I were to use text edit with say Chrome I would simply resize the windows so they sat side by side or use Command Tab to switch between the 2.

Ask a Question