Text edit formating

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to save my excel spreadsheet as a txt. so that data analysis software may read it. However, the formatting of the data must be slightly altered as follows:

pop1_1A 151 (9 spaces between pop1_1A and 151)

to

pop1_1A 151 (11 spaces between pop1_1A and 151)

The 151 value from the pop1_1A population must be separated by 11 spaces and not 9 spaces. How do I format for all these values. I do not know which program to use for this formatting. Seems simple but I need to do this for 52000 values.

Thanks!

thdrbird

*sorry the spacing is not adjusting accordingly when I save this post.

Reaction score
Once you have exported it open it in TextEdit find nine spaces and replace with 11 spaces. If there are other 9 spaces that you need to retain put a marker column in front with ! in it then find !,9 spaces with 11.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately I cannot find the spaces when I export my file. Text edit seems to recognize spaces only when I do them myself, in other words, when I actually press the spacebar. It doesn't recognizes spaces otherwise...

Reaction score
maybe you should open the file in Pages and show invisibles to see just what is in that file. I've never had a problem with TextEdit. It sounds like a problem in the spreadsheet you shouldn't need to post process it, can't you fix the output field?

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman,

What I ended up doing was saving the excel file under csv. format. With spaces separated by commas I was able to apply the find trick you suggested!

All the best!

Ask a Question