Text Edit

Reaction score
I noticed that writing in Text Edit, if I end a word, then make a space, then start another word, things go along normally. But if I end a word, and then make two spaces, Text Edit automatically puts a period at the end of the last word. How do I make this stop doing it?

Reaction score
Although grammatically incorrect, I just did this with Text Edit, leaving two spaces and then typing another word, and it did not put any punctuation mark at the end of the last word before the two spaces. Same with Word 2016. What version of Text Edit are you using? I have V1.12, although I rarely, if ever, use it, preferring Word 2016.

Reaction score
Text Edit version 1.12

I just noticed that sometimes it does it, and sometimes it doesn't. I tried several short sentences, and sometimes it placed its own period and sometimes it did not.

WEIRD

But annoying, to have to go back and remove the period when I don't want it there.

I post on some political message boards, and arrange the postings with Text Edit. It's easy to use, and I've been using Text Edit for several years this way. Saving the postings, or news articles, I use Microsoft Word.

Reaction score
Again, it is grammatically incorrect to have two spaces between two words, so having the period placed there automatically is useful. But if for some strange reason there needs to be 2 spaces (I would suspect that is way more of an exception), then hopefully the app will allow the removal of the period.

Reaction score
I checked in the preferences and couldn't find anything that would work.

Reaction score
I was just posting in a message board and it did the same thing, Text Edit wasn't involved.

Reaction score
I found the fix: System Preferences > Language & Region > Keyboard Preferences > Text

Reaction score
I open a new document — Quotes — and TextEdit automatically makes a copy of it — Quotes~

What's with that? I don't need an extra copy.

Reaction score
Seems to be just happening with TextEdit 1.6 on the old Mac, and not with TextEdit 1.12 on the new Mac.

Reaction score
Old Computer:

MacBook Pro 17" 2.53GHz Core i5 (A1297) Mid 2010 MC024LL/A SKU17697 MC024LL/A GS17697

OSX Version 10.6.8 Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

New Computer:

MacBook Pro Silver

macOS. Sierra Version 10.12.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Processor: 2.6 GHz. Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz. LPDDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Reaction score
I have had this TextEdit on the computer since I bought it new seven years ago and this problem didn't flare up until a few months ago. If I open an old TextEdit document, and make a change, it will make a copy of the document. Otherwise, the other TextEdit documents that I have remain without copies on the computer.

I can get rid of the copies, but as soon as I open a document and make a change, it will make another copy.

Rather annoying, at best...

Ask a Question