Text Edit crashes

Reaction score
I use Textedit a lot. Sometimes I go to open a document and it says I don't have permission. So I close and re-start Textedit and it works again.

I also have to close and re-open it when I want to save a new document. I go through the motions to save, give it a title, click save, and nothing happens. So I have to copy my text into an already-opened textedit document, close the program, re-start it, open up the document, remove the text and put it into a new doc then save it.

Please help!

Reaction score
Try deleting the TextEdit preferences in the Library > Preferences Folder
To go the Library hold down Option and it will be in the Go menu.

Reaction score
Sorry - can't find it anywhere! I'm looking in Finder, tried a Spotlight search ... I know I've been there before but don't know how I got there. Holding down Option (Alt?) key doesn't do anything.

Reaction score
In Finder, There is a Go menu
OPen the Menu and when you press Option, Library will appear.

Reaction score
Thank you Kaveman. Once I'd got through the secret trapdoor the only things with Textedit in the name were these:

com.apple.TextEdit.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.TextEdit.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

so I deleted them. Do I need to empty the trash too?

Assuming this is my answer, I won't actually know for a while as it's an intermittent fault. But let's hope it is - in which case many thanks! - or I'll be back.

Reaction score
Well it didn't work, because today I was unable to save anything and had to quit and re-open Textedit for it to correct.

Any further ideas please?

Reaction score
Same Idea different location.
Library (again) > Containers > com.apple.TextEdit > Data > Library > Preferences > com.apple.TextEdit.plist and friends

Reaction score
Ok, I've now deleted

com.apple.TextEdit.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.TextEdit.plist
too.

Do I have to empty Trash?

Thank you

Reaction score
SADLY, it's me again. I knew it was about to go squiffy again because a file appeared on the desktop - the same name as the one I'd just closed, only with a string of alphabet after it. I deleted that, then went to open another doc and got "You don't have permission to open that". So quit Textedit, reopen, and off we go again.

Reaction score
What version are you using? I use it all the time and have no problems.
Not sure you want to go deleting those temp files, behind its back.

1.8 (301)

Reaction score
Version 1.8 (301). I never used to have problems! This laptop was new in January, and problems started around Easter and are getting more frequent. Any ideas?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you tried repairing Permissions using Disc Utility (found in Applications ~> Utilities) you can use the keyboard shortcut Shift + Command () + U to launch the Utilities folder from Finder.

One of these files you don't have permission for, have you brought up a "Get Info" window on it in Finder and had a look down the bottom in the "Sharing & Permissions" section to see what permissions you have? If you can't see anything, click the disclosure triangle to display the section.

Reaction score
Spawn Dooley - I opened the Disc Utility and found myself right out of my depth. Think I'll need to wait for my son in a couple of weeks.

When it says I don't have permission, it's just a symptom of crashing, not - I think - related to any particular file. It's always files I use constantly. But no, I haven't checked the info. I'll leave this page open till it happens next time.

Reaction score
It lasted two days. Then wouldn't save anything and wouldn't open anything. A re-start sorted it, but meanwhile I had to c & p everything into Pages, then put it all back.

Any more suggestions please?

Reaction score
Oh - when it wouldn't open anything it didn't say I didn't have permission, but there was no application to open it with.

Reaction score
Same Idea different location.
Library (again) > Containers > delete the whole com.apple.TextEdit folder

Reaction score
Thank you Kaveman. I didn't get a notification of your reply, hence late checking it out. I've done that. We will see ...

Ask a Question