Talking in their sleep?

Reaction score
I have noticed that, when I put Macs to sleep, they occasionally pipe up with what sounds like disk activity with a brief BZZZT! and then continues sleeping. For a few laptops I have, that seems to happen every few hours. Duh? What in the world are they doing while they're supposed to be asleep? Do Macs actually have any processes running while asleep? Yes, these Macs have their sleep light (SIL) "breathing" so one can see that they're really sleeping.

Reaction score
Do you have 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' selected in 'Energy Saver Preferences'
if not try:

Apple menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Check 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible'

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Depending on your version of OS X/macOS, it sounds like Energy Saver > Wake for network access or Enable Power Nap is checked. Power Nap allows the Mac to poll for network activity and wake for Time Machine backups, check mail and calendars, etc.

What is Power Nap on Mac?

Personally, I disable Put hard disks to sleep when possible, and that setting has no effect on flash storage/SSDs.

C

BTW - nice reference to The Romantics. ;)

Reaction score
Wake for Network access IS checked. (But I'm not doing any network access, and no applications are running.)
Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible IS checked.

I'll try turning off Wake for Network access, and see if that makes a difference.

Never heard of Power Nap.

Ask a Question