sleep and "wake for network access"

Reaction score
Just curious. When I have checked "Wake for network access", and put my Mac to sleep, how exactly do I wake it by network access? When I put it to sleep, it disappears from my "Shared" list, and isn't there when I pull up Go>Network. It is inaccessible from Chrome Remote Desktop. Is "network access" simply not available to the user? That is, how can a user wake up the machine remotely?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

The Wake for network access is used for services like file sharing, Apple Remote Desktop, Find My Mac, etc. It used to only work via Ethernet, but more modern Macs will wake via Wi-Fi. I am not sure that Chrome Remote Desktop will work, as it is used within Chrome to remotely control another computer. I am not too familiar with it, but I believe both computers need to be running and connected to the Internet/LAN, and not be sleeping.

Apple Remote Desktop can wake other Macs using this service.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. That's interesting. No, CRD won't wake a sleeping Mac, but I'm a little surprised since I thought it used the same comm protocols as Apple Remote Desktop. I don't think that Find My Mac exists on older Macs. That's kinda crappy that at least originally, if you're just connected by Wifi, it won't wake. So Wake for Network Access really means Wake for a very certain kind of network access.

Ask a Question