Monitor doesn't wake up after laptop goes to sleep

Reaction score
Hi all,
When my powerbook goes to sleep and I return to wake it up the monitor does not wake up and I have to unplug it and plug it back in each time and then it works. Each time it also gives me the standard "disk not ejected properly" message. It's an LED cinema display. Any advice would be really appreciated since this is somewhat annoying. Thanks.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro mid 2010. OSX 10.9.2 It's a Thunderbolt from about 2 years ago. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hi,

I take it that you are also using an external keyboard and using this to wake the Mac with its lid still closed as well as having it plugged into the mains.

Reaction score
Yes, I believe that's correct. It's actually my bosses computer. I'm his lowly minion so please forgive my lack of information.

Reaction score
Hi,

1) Defiantly make sure the power cord and charger are working and are plugged, wont work on battery power..
2) Check that the keyboard is OK and working as it should.
3) Check for heat issues, make sure the Mac is on a level surface, back vent should be fine and no different to when the lid is open re air circulation.
4) It's possible that it might get too hot if you are always running apps that keep the CPU and /or disk running hot all the time.

Reaction score
So we've done all of those things (my boss says he has done all of those things) and it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any other ideas? Again, thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hi,

Try three things,
1) Go to System Preferences > Mission Control and uncheck"Displays have separate spaces" .
If still no luck,
2) Enter your password into the blank screen.
If still no luck
3) unplug the thunderbolt cable and replug it in the opposite way.

Reaction score
Sorry for this, my boss is actually using OSX 10.8.5 and it looks like there isn't a check box for "Displays have separate spaces". Is there anything else I can look for?

Reaction score
Hi,

Then I would first get a new connection cable and if no change, book a GB appointment at his nearest Apple store.
As could be something serious IE (hardware) logic board.
Let us know about new cable first.

Ask a Question