"Sleep wake failure"

Reaction score
I recently had a problem where my iMac's hard disk was irreparably damaged and I had to replace it. The new disk works fine... most of the time.

Since then, about half the time when I try to wake the computer up from sleep (I've set it up so after 20 minutes of inactivity the screen save will start up and after 10 or so more minutes the computer will go to sleep) the computer seems to have restarted and, after entering my password, I get the following message:

Date/Time: 2014-03-23 07:33:46 -0600
OS Version: 10.9.2 (Build 13C64)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 18

Event: Sleep Wake Failure
Steps: 48

Hardware model: iMac11,1
Active cpus: 4

more crap here
This doesn't look like a hardware problem, but rather like a software problem, but it started happening after my HD was replaced, so I assume it has something to do with that.

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
DId a quick Google and found quite a few occurrences of this issue in Mavericks but no real solution anywhere, unfortunately. Most were MacBook Air's btw where I see you have an iMac so I can't figure this one I'm afraid.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
This is also triggered by having external USB hard drives connected during the sleep/wake cycle.

Do you have any USB drives connected? If so, eject/disconnect them, try the sleep/wake cycle, and see if the issue persists.

C

Reaction score
Yes, I have a USB drive which I use for my TimeMachine backups. I'll try that and get back to you. Thanks, Cory.

(That's a very silly bug to have, by the way. I can't believe I'm having it on an Apple machine. It's something I would have expected from, say, HP...)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I know, huh? ;)

There is currently some discussion about USB drives causing sleep wake issues with Mavericks. That's why I suggested you troubleshoot with the external drive. Make sure you have a current Time Machine backup before troubleshooting. ;)

Let us know how you get on,

C

Reaction score
Hello again.

So far, thrice I've tried waking up my computer without my external USB drive being connected; all three times the computer woke up properly. Three is a very small number, but so far so good, and I'll keep trying and let you know how it goes.

Incidentally, I left my FireWire drive, my USB CD/DVD reader/burner, my USB printer, my USB keyboard and my bluetooth mouse all connected; apparently, the issue is with USB drives but not any other kind of drive or any other USB peripheral, which seems odd as hell.

Thanks again for the help, Cory.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad to hear it's working so far.

Yes, other USB peripherals don't seem to cause the issue, just hard drives. And, FireWire drives don't seem to have the issue either. I believe it may be attributed to the hard drive spinning down feature and them either not spinning down, or failing to spin back up upon wake. Also, it may have something to do with the difference between FireWire and USB - FireWire has it's own controller chip, USB uses the computer's processor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

C

Ask a Question