problem w/ iBook G4 keeps sleeping won't wake...help!?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iBook G4 which has just recently started playing up. It appears to go to sleep of its own accord and will not wake from it. It rarely boots up and when it does will just go off again. It seems to hang up at a very early stage when booting and the fan quite often stays on and the machine does not respond at all and requires the battery to be removed to reset. Another thing is charging, it doesn't! It runs from the battery and the mains but does not charge.

I've read a few posts that seem to have similar problems so have tried things such as resetting the PMU but it didn't solve the problem.

I don't know whether it is a hardware or software problem. Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Cheers

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Is the Mac still under warranty ? (Applecare)

It certainly sounds like a PMU problem.

Does it get very hot when plugged into the mains ?

How long does the battery last ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately it is not still under warranty. I wouldn't say it gets particularly hot. In fact the rare times it has booted i've installed temperature monitor software and everything seems normal. There are no temperature complaints in the system log. Battery lasts as normal - quite a few hours 3-4 maybe depending. I have managed to boot it up long enough today with the battery removed to transfer all my files from it. I was wondering if flattening it and reinstalling os x would improve matters at all? If it is a PMU fault what are the possible fixes? Where is the PMU rooted?

Cheers

Reaction score
Well I've fixed the problem. It turned out to be a simple hardware issue or at least that is my guess. A dodgy connection which was solved by taking it to bits and putting back together. Easier said than done!

Ask a Question