High Sierra talking to modem problem

Reaction score
I just had my MacBook wiped and High Sierra installed. I have not done anything else to it, including re-loading the files I saved. It has only the new OS on it. Since the HS install, the modem and the computer do not see each other for several minutes, as opposed to before when they saw each other right away; if I let it go to sleep, which is frequently during the day, I have to reboot the modem before Safari does not say there is no internet connection. After I reboot the modem (cable modem; I do not use wifi, therefore no router etc, just a direct cable) it takes several minutes of "Safari can't find the web site" before they "see" each other. I did not have this problem until the new installation, so I doubt the modem is at fault.
If Safari is the problem, I will happily use another browser but I was trying to not download a boatload of software unless I have to. Previously I had had Chrome and Firefox die on me and ended up using Opera, which went and upgraded itself to a version that did not work with my OS. I then went back to Safari which got weirder and weirder and finally quit, which is why I did the wipe and HS OS install.
I'm not a computer geek, all I do is your basic email, Facebook, and a lot of online searches.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which exact model Mac?
-Which version of macOS High Sierra - 10.13.4?
-Which brand/model cable modem/router?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. It was, amazingly, a coincidental failure of the phone cord. On a hunch I switched to a different phone cord and the problem disappeared. Obviously I threw out the bad one. How this happened exactly at the same time as the upgrade, is beyond me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad it's sorted.

It is rare that cables go bad, but it does happen...definitely a coincidental failure. At least it wasn't something more major! ;)

C

Ask a Question