High Sierra crashed after Install of Sapphire Pulse Radeon 560 RX won't reboot??

Reaction score
I installed my brand new Sapphire Pulse Radeon 560 RX 4GB video card in to my 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 firmware running High Sierra. It appeared to install ok. The Mac Pro booted and initially didn’t display the boot screen like i knew it wouldn’t. It displayed fine at the login screen, I logged in like normal, waited a couple minutes to let it all boot up. I then clicked the apple icon and clicked “about this mac” to reveal that it saw the graphics card fine. I then proceeded to download GeekBench as to try to test it out with the new video card? In the middle of downloading GeekBench, my system froze, a complete lock up. I pressed the power button in for 10 seconds. rebooted, it wouldn’t even boot up just black screen.

I then removed the new card, and put the original card back in to the pci slot. Rebooted to another black screen and no boot. Any ideas to what is going on at this point?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, that is a PC-compatible card, and not officially supported in a Mac Pro. It has a hefty power requirement that the Mac Pro may not be able to supply, and no Mac drivers available.

I am thinking it may have damaged the PCI slot, since the original card doesn't work now either. With the original card in place, you could try the following:

-How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

C

Ask a Question