SOLVED Startup Applications

Reaction score
There are some apps that start up automatically on my system, chief of which is the Microsoft Office Update Assistant. In a UNIX system I would look for a crontab, but I don't see the equivalent in MacOS (Catalina). I don't like things starting up on my system unless I start them, so my intention is to learn how this process works on Catalina so I can disable entries I don't want to run and add entries which I DO want to run.

Reaction score
Go to Sys Prefs>Users and Groups. Make sure that your Account is selected and click "Login Items". This will show all apps that start up automatically and can delete and add as you wish.

Reaction score
OK, I went there and found what you were talking about. I don't see the MS Office Update Assistant in the list; there are two apps in that list but they're both supposed to be there. So apparently MS Office Update Assiatant starts up when the system is booted, not when I log on. So where do I find the tasks that are started at boot time?

Reaction score
It could be a Launch Agent. Scroll down here to "Inspect your Mac".
OK, I'm going to mark this as resolved, because the web page MightyGem references provided solutions that I could (but have not yet) implemented.

Ask a Question