Change Bluetooth host controller at startup? OS X Mojave

Reaction score
Mac mini 2018 the notorious Bluetooth problem.

any way to force select my Bluetooth dongle at startup? Restarting and selecting every time means I need a wired keyboard connected - defeats the object !

Mac OS X Mojave

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't any way that I know of, as the built-in Bluetooth hardware is accessible by the Mac's firmware, and third-party Bluetooth dongles are recognized by OS X/macOS after the Mac has started up.

Bluetooth keyboard with dongles don't have access to the startup keyboard commands unfortunately.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't any way that I know of, as the built-in Bluetooth hardware is accessible by the Mac's firmware, and third-party Bluetooth dongles are recognized by OS X/macOS after the Mac has started up.

Bluetooth keyboard with dongles don't have access to the startup keyboard commands unfortunately.

C
Thanks for your reply , a search showed some suggested a terminal line command achieved this in earlier versions of Mac OS X (I think Sierra /High/Sierra) so I wondered if same was possible on Mojave...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It may or may not work, as I hadn't come across this issue previously,

I guess you could try it and see. As always, it's recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

It may or may not work, as I hadn't come across this issue previously,

I guess you could try it and see. As always, it's recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

Let us know how it goes.

C
I have tried it , it doesn’t work on Mojave ( sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always)

terminal acknowledges the command but does not retain it over restart

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I don't know of any other way around it, but please post if you find a solution.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question