Randomly lost all volume except startup sound

Reaction score
Hello. I have an early 2015 MacBook Air that I've had since new and today I lost all sound except for the startup sound. I was watching a movie on Hulu, closed Safari, and closed my MacBook's lid to put it to sleep. The next time I went to use it I had no sound, I have no option for internal speakers under audio in system preferences, I've tried resetting the PRAM multiple times, I've checked the audio MIDI settings but nothing has helped. Audio preferences still only shows "Headphone Port" under output and the only sound I can get is the startup sound.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I have no idea why this changed anything as it's the second time I've tried it but I re opened the Audio MIDI Setup app and went to configure speakers, I clicked the left and right separately and now I have sound. Yet there is still a bubble with an exclamation point in it next to Built-in Output in the Audio MIDI settings, is that normal?
Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.42.27 AM.png

Edit: It seems to have something to do with the Monterey OS update. If I allow my MacBook to download the update I have no sound, if I however stop the download and go into the Audio MIDI settings I can get my sound back. Very strange, I guess I'll just let the update download and install over night when I'm not using my MacBook.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like the issue isn't resolved, so I removed the SOLVED tag.

You may be correct in that the update didn't fully apply. If that doesn't resolve it, you can always re-download the full macOS Monterey installer and re-run it over the top of your current installation. As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

Let us know if you are still experiencing the issue.

C

Ask a Question