iTunes launches randomly

Reaction score
This happened a few years ago, and after a week or two of total exasperation, it stopped. Well, it's happening again. Out of the blue, iTunes just wants to launch. Boom. Nothing obvious that's making it want to launch. Nothing changed in my system. Not connecting any devices. In fact, I have TOLD iTunes not to open automatically when a device is connected. I kill iTunes, and it pops up again. I force-quit it, and maybe it stays quit, maybe it doesn't.

I do not use iTunes, and I'd just dump the software if I could. In fact, I'm at least thinking of going into my terminal window and changing the name of iTunes.app, so when something tries to open it, it can't find it.

How can I stop this, without just decapitating iTunes??????

OS 10.11.6.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-As I understand it, it isn't a login item issue. It just opens randomly, then respawns/relaunches when you quit iTunes?
-Do you have an iPhone/iPad that is set to sync wirelessly with iTunes?
-Do you have an Apple Remote that is paired with your Mac - maybe one of the buttons is being pressed? It could even be someone else in the house or a neighbor.
-You could launch iTunes, then in iTunes Preferences > Devices, check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and Forget All Remotes if it lists some as paired.
-Which Mac - it could be one of the media keys is sticking?
-Any other Bluetooth devices closeby that may be triggering it?

C

Reaction score
Correct. Just opens randomly, and seems to sometimes get upset that it can't find a song that I've never heard of. Sometimes relaunches when I kill it off, sometimes doesn't.

• No iPhone/iPad
• No Apple Remote
• Launched iTunes, then in iTunes Preferences > Devices, check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and Forget All Remotes if it lists some as paired. That box is checked, and no remotes are listed.
• No Bluetooth devices close by (at least that I'm aware of).

I believe this is a recognized problem, and there is even a compact app called noTunes that you can download that will disable iTunes, but the only version I can find will only run on 10.12. Amusing that people need an app to kill off iTunes.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah...not an issue I have heard of before, or remember hearing about. ;)

Will dig around a bit and see if I can find any other possible solutions.

C

Reaction score

None of these solutions seems to help, aside from just killing off iTunes. Apple really lost it's head on this one.

Reaction score
None of those things apply, and the Linc Davis post isn't about disabling iTunes.

I tried renaming iTunes.app iTunesx.app as su, but it wouldn't let me do that. Maybe I need to be Administrator to do it?

Reaction score
OK, I *think* this is fixed. At least, the thing hasn't launched itself for a few hours, and it was doing it many times per hour before. What did I do? Simple. When iTunes was open, I logged in, and then logged out. Evidently that reset some bizzarity in iTunes. Cosidering that I almost never use iTunes, and almost never log in or out, this was a real oddity. But iTunes evidently got very very upset about something involving the login.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The Linc Davis stuff is what may cause iTunes to launch, not to disable iTunes.

Let us know if the logout fixes it permanently.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, good...thought it would be good to look for a possible trigger. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question