Stage Manager button missing

Reaction score
Of all the new features Ventura introduces, the one I was most looking forward to exploring was Stage Manager. However, after uploading from Monterey I went to the control centre only to find that there was no Stage Manager button at all. It does appear as one of the modules in SystemSettings > Control Centre
Other Monterey features explored so far seem to be working just fine.
Mac M1

Reaction score
Of all the new features Ventura introduces, the one I was most looking forward to exploring was Stage Manager. However, after uploading from Monterey I went to the control centre only to find that there was no Stage Manager button at all. It does appear as one of the modules in SystemSettings > Control Centre
Mac M1
Are you saying you cannot activate Stage Manager? You should find it Systems Settings -> Desktop & Dock where you will find the on/off switch for Stage Manager (beside Customize…). I don’t recall adding it to the menu bar, but there it is. I don’t see any setting to add it to the menu bar, though, and I don’t want to manually remove it because I might not be able to put it back, and I find it very convenient to quickly switch Stage Manager on and off.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. In Desktop and Dock the heading and description are there, but both the switch and Customise... are greyed out.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. In Desktop and Dock the heading and description are there, but both the switch and Customise... are greyed out.
Really? It must be a hardware problem, or some other process. Here is my setup…

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 07.08.23.png

Or a glitch during the upgrade process. It’s not unusual for me to reinstall macOS when strange things like this come up.

Reaction score
Really? It must be a hardware problem, or some other process. Here is my setup…

View attachment 4487

Or a glitch during the upgrade process. It’s not unusual for me to reinstall macOS when strange things like this come up.
A download glitch might be the problem, as the process was interrupted. How do I reinstall, when my Mac tells me I'm up-to-date?

Reaction score
A download glitch might be the problem, as the process was interrupted. How do I reinstall, when my Mac tells me I'm up-to-date?
First try it with  -> App Store… and then enter “macOS Ventura” in the search field. When macOS Ventura comes up, click on the title until you get to the window with the GET button. Click and it will start the download into your Applications folder.

As soon as the download finishes it will launch the installer (which can take a few minutes—be patient). DO NOT proceed. Quit and save a copy to another location. Afterwards, you can reboot and the installation will resume, or simply double click the file in the Applications folder. In my experience, sometimes the download will happen from System Settings. I think they changed the interface from different versions of the beta.

Use the copy you saved to reinstall macOS whenever you see signs of degradation. In older versions of macOS, I would keep a copy of the newest combo updater and it usually works to perform the “refresh.”

If your setup won’t allow you to do this, you can go to

Available downloads go as far back as OS X Lion. Good luck.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

If it looks like this, try clicking on the slider and you should get a window prompt to Turn On Stage Manager. If you click the blue Turn On button, it should not be dimmed out any longer and you can access Customize.
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 00.05.28.png

C

Reaction score
First try it with  -> App Store… and then enter “macOS Ventura” in the search field. When macOS Ventura comes up, click on the title until you get to the window with the GET button. Click and it will start the download into your Applications folder.

As soon as the download finishes it will launch the installer (which can take a few minutes—be patient). DO NOT proceed. Quit and save a copy to another location. Afterwards, you can reboot and the installation will resume, or simply double click the file in the Applications folder. In my experience, sometimes the download will happen from System Settings. I think they changed the interface from different versions of the beta.

Use the copy you saved to reinstall macOS whenever you see signs of degradation. In older versions of macOS, I would keep a copy of the newest combo updater and it usually works to perform the “refresh.”

If your setup won’t allow you to do this, you can go to

Available downloads go as far back as OS X Lion. Good luck.
Thanks Tony. I've just completed a Ventura reinstall - the problem is still there!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hi,

If it looks like this, try clicking on the slider and you should get a window prompt to Turn On Stage Manager. If you click the blue Turn On button, it should not be dimmed out any longer and you can access Customize.
View attachment 4489
C
Hi Corey. Your screenshot is exactly what is my screen looks like. But I don't understand your suggestion. What slider?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, meant to say "switch" as you had referred to it. ;)

All three of the Macs I upgraded to Ventura had the swith/slider and Customize... button grayed out like in the screenshot. I had to click on the switch and a popup window appeared that had a blue Turn on button. Once I click the Turn On button, Stage Manager was enabled and I can now click Customize... and adjust a couple of settings.
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 8.37.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 8.38.01 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 8.38.05 AM.png

Sorry, I don't have a screenshot of the "Turn on" window.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I found this online..what pops up when you click the switch to turn on Stage Manager the first time:

Stage-Manager-in-macOS-Ventura-first-run.jpg

Reaction score
I forgot to check with you on this… Do you have the Control Center menu bar icon turned on? It’s the one with the two slider switches one on top of the other. If you do, see if Stage Manager is included. It’s the default setting, I believe.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 05.58.06.png

I can’t think of any hardware incompatibility with your Silicon Mac.

Reaction score
Mac M1
Problem now sold! Thank you very much :)

Ask a Question