SOLVED El Capitan (Version 10.11.6) holding password hostage!

Reaction score
Mac Pro Quad-Core running El Capitan refuses all attempts at entering password. Don't need password for booting up, but do for deleting some items, installing software, any changes to apps, and running maintenance software Tech Tools...just to name a few!

Have opened System Preferences /Security & Privacy / General to change password. Cannot UNLOCK or get through under "Change Password". Note FILEVAULT is turned OFF. However, I do have a RECOVERY KEY. (FIREWALL is ON.)

I believe I may have entered the working password without unlocking, started entering a new password and accidentally hit the return. Since it will no longer accept the old password, I have tried what I intended to change it to, and many versions thereof, but to no avail.

What can I do???? Help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Reaction score
Attempts at going into 'RECOVERY MODE" have been unsuccessful. Apple appears, gray bar proceeds to about 3/4, then starts over and stops about 1/16" into it. There it stays.

Also any method which requires unlocking preferences will not work...as I need to provide password.

Reaction score
Have tried changing boot up drive...however, again...need password. Daaaaa....

I NEED TO CHANGE THE ADMINISTRATOR...however, to do that...it seems every method requires a password to get going.

Have even contacted Apple Support....twice so far...and they have not been able to provide a solution. The first gal I chatted with, gave me two options. Should try the first she gave me used the recovery key (that doesn't work on my computer). If it did't work to come back using the case number I was assigned to get instructions on how to change the administrator. She said it would require Apple to provide some "codes". ??? However, upon return I got Fred, who didn't know much / even had to consult a supervisor / had no clue as to the method I was inquiring about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Maybe the Terminal process outlined in this article will help: OS X 10.11 EI Capitan Reset Forgotten User and Admin Password

C
Sorry to say, I am still struggling. I have tried the process described in the above article...more than once. Most recently after doing a restore from time machine files. Same thing happens: Attempts at "RECOVERY MODE" have been unsuccessful. After holding down the Command + R key until the Apple appears, the gray bar proceeds to about 3/4, then starts over and stops about 1/16" into it. There it stays.

Is there something to do to rectify this situation?

Reaction score
Sorry to say, I am still struggling. I have tried the process described in the above article...more than once. Most recently after doing a restore from time machine files. Same thing happens: Attempts at "RECOVERY MODE" have been unsuccessful. After holding down the Command + R key until the Apple appears, the gray bar proceeds to about 3/4, then starts over and stops about 1/16" into it. There it stays.

Is there something to do to rectify this situation?

Have gone from attempting Recovery Mode to Single User...and still having problems. Get error messages: "DiretoryServices.plist" and/or "open directory.plist" do not exist. So there I am stuck. Any other commands to substitute for these?

Ask a Question