Problem at earliest possible stage

Reaction score
Recently got MacBook, see my intro. Played a little with it in last few days, not had much time. At least I gave it a password.

And then having toyed a bit, attended a lesson, and it has been working, then I was surprised by this: I had left it for not long and screen has name and space for password with flashing | . The arrow that was after this box is not there. I can't iinput anything - press character keys and nothing happens. So I can't start! Switch off a minute, on agaain, same problem.

Could hardly be an earlier stage to have a problem. Can anyone tell me how to get out of it?

En

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Can you use the trackpad to place the cursor in either of the login fields?
-Can you explain "Switch off a minute, on agaain, same problem." - do you mean power off the MacBook?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Can you use the trackpad to place the cursor in either of the login fields?
-Can you explain "Switch off a minute, on agaain, same problem." - do you mean power off the MacBook?

C
Thx

I have answered my own question. Grubbing around the web (fortunately I have three devices and one was working) I found something I should have realised.

I should have realised because, for some reason, computers are I think the only devices that are harder to switch off than to switch on.

So somehow I found instructions on how to turn it off properly, not obvious, nor was it obvious to me that it was not turned off, but after I turned it off by pressing for long enough and then switched it back on again it was OK, so I have only missed it for two days.

Good that Apple stores run lessons (this happened soon after I'd been to one) so I hope with this device to stop being a permanent newbie.

Ask a Question