Some photos attached to emails are waaaaaaay oversized on delivery

Reaction score
Sometimes, when my brother sends me emails with attached photos from his iPhone 6, the photos are about 3 or 4 times the size of my screen. It's not always but is quite often. I'm not sure if the problem is on his end or my end - I can't find any settings or preferences to address this. I've tried sending myself photos from my iPhone 6 specifying the photos as small, medium or large - they all show up the same size on my MacBook screen. I'm on a MacBook Pro running 10.10.5 Yosemite and my email is Gmail. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which exact model is your MBP?

The resolution of the 12MP photos from an iPhone 6s is 4032x3024 pixels, which is multiple times larger than a standard MacBook Pro 15" screen, and approximately 1.5 times the full resolution of a Retina MBP screen.

Sounds like he may be sending them at original size sometimes, and scaled other times.

C

Reaction score
Hi C - and thanks for responding.
it's a MBP 13" early 2011 1280 x 800
processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

do you know where in settings or how he would specify original or scaled photos? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It depends on what version of iOS he is running. If iOS 11, when composing the email the photo(s) are in, if he clicks the word Images on the right side of the CC/BC line, he can choose the size.

C

Reaction score
On my iPhone 6 I'm running OS 11.3 and I don't find the word "images" anywhere in email or photos (I'm trying to duplicate his actions since he is currently on vacation off the grid). What am I doing wrong? Do I have to tap or drag something?

please be advised that I'm not very tech savvy with smartphones and computers - I mostly just get by. Any 12 year old would have figured this out in 1.3 seconds, but, then there's people like me. thanks for your patience.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm..that's strange. Images only appears on an iPad running iOS 11.

On an iPhone running iOS 11, create an email either from the Photos app > Share > Email, or the Mail app > click and hold in body of email > choose Insert Photo or Video. Once the email is ready to send, click Send, and a box will popup asking you what size you want to send the photo in:

ios_email_size.png

Simply pick one and send.

C

Reaction score
Hi C - Aha! (sort of). I was aware of the sm., med., lg. & actual on the iPhone and I found the "images" on the iPad (which yields the same choices).

From my own iPhone and iPad I have emailed myself text and pics in format sm., lg., & actual from both devices. On my laptop, the actual comes out the same size as the lg., but the actual looks to have a better resolution. Nothing comes out bigger than my screen. At any rate, I can't duplicate what's going on when my bro sends pics, but I will pass on all this good info. you have given me.

Many Thanks! for taking the time to educate me.

Reaction score
Hmmm..that's strange. Images only appears on an iPad running iOS 11.

On an iPhone running iOS 11, create an email either from the Photos app > Share > Email, or the Mail app > click and hold in body of email > choose Insert Photo or Video. Once the email is ready to send, click Send, and a box will popup asking you what size you want to send the photo in:

ios_email_size.png

Simply pick one and send.

C
Hi C - a new wrinkle. I just learned that my brother is sending these emails not from his iPhone but from his laptop: MacBook Air, 13", 2017, OS 10.3.4. Can you tell me where/how to set the "size" of outgoing attached photos? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sure...

In the Mail app, when you add a photo, there should be an Image Size: drop-down on the right side, just above the email body and below the Subject: field. It should adjust all photos to the same size, if there are more than one.

C

Reaction score
C - I can't thank you enough. The issue is now resolved, thanks to you, and my brother (and I) are now more educated on our Apple devices. Sorry it took a couple days to get back to you, but he's traveling outside the country. People like you who are willing to hang in there with those of us who don't find the digital natural or inviting are to be commended, in the highest possible terms. Hardly seems sufficient, but, THANKS! AGAIN!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad it is resolved!

Thank you for the very kind words, it is always good to hear that people appreciate our efforts. Helping people is why we are here...we're just paying it forward. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question