freeze on loading around 65%, el capitan, update 10.11.2 (15C50) (photos attached)

Reaction score
Please help me
Yesterday I woke up with the screen frozen at loading on my mac, don't know what made it restart, (photo A) A.jpg . (I waited for 30min) nothing happened so I force shut down, and started again, again stuck around the same point. I did more than once restarts, sometimes loading went to end but then grey screen.... waiting then blue screen.. (happened 2 times)
(more times like that and the graphic looked like the photo with some lines around it (photo B)) B.jpg
I started to read on forums to do PRAM and other resets, nothing helped, Then I tried Command V, and it started loading (photo C & D you can see there are some errors there, but I don't understand those). C.jpg D.jpg
but Command V got it working. I was afraid to restart, I noticed there was update ready 10.11.2. So I try to instal that, hoping it will fix the problem, restarting stuck at 75%, so I restart it again in save mode, and got to see the instal like (photo E), E.jpg but you can see the whole display was tilted left. after the instal entered in safe mode, but the display stayed the same, I did restart, and worked good.
I hoped that was done, but while I was on skype talking with a friend, tried to open indesign my screen turned black, no cursor nothing, but still was able to talk with my friend in the background. I tried force shutdown, and again everything happens as before, restarting with Command Shift entered the safe mode, then restart worked fine, but again the black screen happened again with self restart...
Today I started with safe mode, did first aid disc utility chek, everything looks fine, restart and was able to write this. I'm afraid to test again some programs to see if the black screen happens again.
Anyone can help me with this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
proc: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
startup disc: Macintosh HD
graphic: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

thank you!

Reaction score
First, you should have fixed the issues first before upgrading to OS 10.11.2.

Secondly, have you been making any backups to an external device?

Reaction score
Yes I have backups of my important files, no os backups. I thought the upgrade will fix it by itself. The issue is the same. True-ought save mode and restart works fine.
One more thing:
One month ago I changed the battery. The one that came with the macbook got swollen, I had to buy new one, got it from Apple.

Reaction score
OK, although this could be a challenge. Do you use any third party apps? And, what type of files are you saving? Are any of them specific to an application?

Reaction score
processing, photoshop, indesing. wav/mp3 files with Ableton. I had jBridgeM that shows in the black photos, it was bridge app for audio vst plugins. uninstalled it more than year ago, don't know why it's shows some errors there.
I installed little snitch after upgrading to el capitan month ago.

Reaction score
OK, do you have all those applications saved someplace in their original "files"? That is, can you install them from scratch? (BTW, I assume you are saving that stuff to an external device).

If you do, and do not "mind" doing that, and also that you have noting else critical on your internal drive, then if I were you, I'd boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive (and if necessary, Partition it also), then do a fresh installation of El Capitan. Once that is done, you can then boot your machine like normal, and "recover" all the stuff you have backed up to an external device. This link shows how to boot to that (hidden) Recovery HD partition, and how to use it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

One other thing: when you upgraded to OS 10.11.2, did you get it from the Apple Store? If you did, then I believe you got the actual, full OS 10.11.2 installation "package". When I updated the other day, I just downloaded and installed the OS 10.11.2 Combo Updater.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response and time.
Yes I updated it from apple store, I do saving to external hd, I keep some of the instal programs, but not all of them,
so there is nothing I can do to fix this then do clean instal ?! any idea what may the problem be?

Reaction score
If you need any of the installation software for those other products, you should download them as soon as you can.

Maybe someone else could "chime in" here, but one of the main issues is that you possibly "corrupted" your system more by installing OS 10.11.2 onto a somewhat "unhealthy" system. You actually could boot to that Recovery Partition and run Disk Utility from there to Verify and Repair your internal drive. But, that might not clean up every software "issue".

The other thing you could try is to Repair Permissions on your system. The version of Disk Utility in El Capitan no longer has that feature, but you can download the excellent, venerable, free software entitled Onyx and use it to Repair Permissions. I have been using that jewel for so many years that I depend on it. Also, it has a number of other useful features. You can download it from here (make sure you download the first version on that list, V 3.1.2, as that version is specifically for El Capitan):

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

You can run that from your internal drive.

Again, though, not sure if that will completely resolve your issues. But, it will not hurt, and Onyx is a useful piece of software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question