[SOLVED] Office 2004 incompatibility with 10.6.3

Reaction score
I am running office 2004 for mac on a pre-unibody Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4MB RAM. Up until updating from 10.6.2 Snow Leopard my system was running smoothly and I had no issues with Office 2004. Since I updated to 10.6.3 no component of Office will start up (word, excel, powerpoint, entourage). I keep getting the message that the application unexpectedly quit and the usual dialogue box.

Can anyone suggest a solution that will not require me to reinstall 10.6.2 from a SuperDuper back up? I am happy with Office 2004 and really dont want to upgrade to 2008. Please note my installation disks are not with me as I am currently out of the country.

Thank you very much in advance for any help/ suggestions anyone may have.

Reaction score
Re: Office 2004 incompatibility with 10.6.3

Hello, did you repair permissions after the update? If not, give it a shot.

Reaction score

I repaired permissions 3 times, 2 x via Onyx then once via disk utility. I restarted, but after asking for my password the system did not load up. I then force restarted, logged in and attempted to open word 2004. Regrettably the same thing happened i.e. it quit before it loaded up

Reaction score

I keep getting the message that the application unexpectedly quit and the usual dialogue box.

Sometimes that error is caused by corrupted preferences. Try this. Go to your user Library > Preferences > and search for the plist file for one of the Office components. For example, move the files com.microsoft.word.plist and com.microsoft.office.plist to your desktop. Then try to start up MS Word. See if it runs. If that works, then I'd remove the other Office plist files and trash them. You'll lose your preference settings for Office, but at least it'll work.

Reaction score

I will keep this very useful tip in mind if the same happens when I download the update on the Mac. Thank you very much.

Ask a Question