[SOLVED] Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 - iTunes/Safari problem

Reaction score
Hello.
I really hope someone can help me....? It's driving me mad. Had my Mac since 2006 and just had software updated in a computer shop to 10.5.8 in order to allow me to use iTunes 9 for my iPhone. I'm now getting an error message in iTunes asking me to upgrade to Safari 4.0.3 or later. I can't find this version of Safari, only 4.0.5 (which says that it needs OS X 10.6)...I'm no expert but this seems absolutely ridiculous to me...any suggestions?? I've read lots of bits on this and just end up back in the same place!! HHHEEELLLPPPP :eek:)

Reaction score
Re: Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 - iTunes/Safari problem

You should update to safari to Version 5.0.5 & iTunes to 10.2.2 they will run ok on 10.5.8. you shouldn't have any trouble connecting your iPhone to this version

Reaction score

Thank you very much Greenman, I really appreciate your help. I did as you said but as I've come across before, I get an error message when about to install the Safari download. It says it needs Mac OS X 10.6. Thank you anyway xx

Reaction score

I'm a little surprised that the shop didn't run software update after installing 10.5.8 to make sure the system and app were up to the latest version, you may want to take it back and get them to update it for you.

I am running 10.5.8 on my box (Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5) I have Safari Version 5.0.5 (5533.21.1) and iTunes 10.2.2(12) so I known these apps work

Right, have you run software update from System Preferences Software update if that failed try this, insert your System install DVD, restart and hold the C key.
Run Disk Utility and run *Repair Permissions* and *Repair disk* on your internal drive.
Then restart and run Software update again.

Reaction score

Hello Greenman, thank you once again for all of your help, I am now up and running. I borrowed disc from shop and did a custom install of safari...I then opened software update and it was there. New version of Safari successfully installed, iTunes is happy...thanks SO SO much for you help!! Have a lovely day!

Ask a Question