[SOLVED] MacBook Air and video/audio output : does anyone care?

Reaction score
Hi again.
I recently got me a superb MB Air 11', to use it as a netbook without the windows burden.
I'm very satisfied with the machine (although I sill wonder why does it cost a 35% more in Europe than in the U.S.).

I just wanted to know what the mini display port capabilities are.
It appears, from what I read, that this kind of ports are able to connect with HDMI devices (with sound and vision, whoaoo !!), but they only mention it for MacBook Pros (well, at least some of them), and iMacs (only if built between Tim Cook's niece wedding and Phil Schiller's gardener's son operation for tonsil removal :p ).
Not a word anywhere about Airs. Not even those assembled during chinese full moon nights.

Anyone here with reliable info and willing to share it ?
Or should I just spend another 50 € (about 65 US $) ordering an adapter, just to make sure how stupid I can be ?

Preemptive thanks.:D

Reaction score
Re: MacBook Air and video/audio output : does anyone care?

Obviously, my doubts were justified. No one gives a damn about these kinds of concerns.
So i'll handle it my way (probably the wrong one, so).

Sometimes it feels good to belong to a minority. It's like you're not alone. Except sometimes.

Reaction score

That's it I got my answer :

I bought an mini display port to HDMI (29 €) and an HDMI cable (10 €).

Connected my MB Air with HD TV.

The result is : it works :) .

But no sound :eek:. .

Too bad I had to use another cable to connect audio out with another sound device.

The total weigh of the gear connected is thus much higher than the computer itself, and has so many wires attached you can't call it a mobile computer anymore.

@ any Mod : feel free to close this thread whenever you want, as it can be considered as 'solved'.

crow, the lonely poster.:D

Reaction score

Are these forums closed, virtual or just heavily censored ?

Reaction score

The forums are open and not heavily censored at all. Why do you ask?

Reaction score
Sorry for asking clumsily.
I did not mean my question to sound like criticism. On the contrary, I would rather congratulate all of you for the brilliant job you're doing.
I just tried to figure out why no answer arrived.
THX and apologies once more.

NB: furthermore, english is not my native language...

Ric

Reaction score
It's just been a bit quite round here... but hopefully things are getting back to normal !

Reaction score
You are right there is maybe NO Sound on your MacBook Air via the display port, you require a second cable from the headphone Jack to the Audio In. Most newer TVs have a channel or setting which can be used for this purpose, video via HDMI and sound via Phonos.

Note: *Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release
From Cable/Adaptor sales on the Apple Store.

Reaction score
You are right, but still :

Note: *Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release

Blame it on Apple :mad:

Reaction score
There are always edge cases and if you have a specific requirements its always best to read and ensure the port/slot/cable/card/drive/beam or hole, performs as you expect before purchasing. Apple can hardly read the mind of every potential purchaser.

Over the years I have found with all manner of product sheets, if it doesn't say it will do it, then it probably doesn't. It's the way product sheets work.

Audio is a new feature that has recently been added to the ThunderBolt spec, this is a great advancement.

Thank you Apple.

I've found the best way to send Audio and Video from my MacBook Air is via my AppleTV, which only costs about the same as a Fibre Audio cable and a good quality HDMI cable.

Reaction score
Once more, I agree with what you say and am not willing to argue for this merely significant matter.
But yet, an improvement is an improvement, and every user can expect a new functionality to work with the latest release of a device, especially if the above mentioned does not seem to be a big deal for hardware designers.

Similar illogic things happen with bluetooth keyboards. Why the hell can't they release a version including a numeric keypad, similar to the wired version ?
Technical or commercial motives?

Reaction score
I agree with you, it's very frustrating. Its easy to view these issues in isolation, we have this computer, dongle and cable, why doesn't it work as I want it to?

At some point, before we know or remember, Apple decided it was a good idea to let their Laptops be used with an external Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard. Great idea. So they added additional USB ports and a display port. This was to allow us to plug our laptop into a large display. With the Pro models this was DVI, as time went on things got thinner and Apple arrived at the miniDisplay port. Display port. But then we thought hey why don't we use our HDTVs as displays, cool idea. What, there is no Sound going out the DisplayPort. No there isn't, sound goes out the sound port (Headphone). What to do? lets use a new standard developed with Intel, which does have Sound and Video. Yeah ThunderBolt. Each iteration we move forward, we get new options then we springboard into doing unexpected things, which causes new innovation. This is a Good Thing™ and getting this new port means Apple is listening and changing to meet our needs,

25 years later and we're back to talking about the "missing" numeric keypad. I use an extended keyboard and have since the days of the keyboard we called the skateboard. Why? When I'm working, I use the delete forward and the arrow keys a lot. So with fn-Delete and the little arrow keys I could get by, but I like the extended keyboard, a cable is a small price to pay. The bonus USB ports make it far better. I think Bluetooth adds nothing, sure cables were a constant problem with mice but a single cable from the Keyboard, not a big problem. I find managing the constant steam of recharging batteries a bigger pain. So why the change? There are 2 main reasons IMO.
Apple with the success of Retail has found that Macs are not as trouble free and easy to support as they used to believed. Oh, they are a huge step better than anything else!!! There people just give up doing anything new. But its not all smooth sailing, ever plugged a USB device that needs power into your keyboard, thats a support call, now Apple is closely monitoring those calls. Once the cost of support outweighs the benefit of a feature they get rid of it. Mouse cables high support BlueTooth low. User swappable HDs high support, gone. Charger cables being yanked, magSafe connectors. The file system is next;-) The short keyboard requires less support, this means less unhappy people.
Apple has plans for the space that extension takes up. If you haven't watched the WWDC keynote take the time too. The mouse is going away. Sure, it may take a while and you will be able to buy one, but the space is going to be taken by the TrackPad. I have both, and for working in Finder, Browsing the Web and email, on a 27" screen the TrackPad is way better than the mouse and I've been using a mouse since it was first released. So Apple wants that desk space. No mouse mat, no keyboard extension just a TrackPad, gives the users more space and less hassle.
As to the handful that this effects, what is the answer? It's a standard USB port or Bluetooth, any keyboard will work, I'm sure many will say that there are far better Mice and Keyboards than Apples, so why worry, If we don't like Apple's shortie buy a 3rd party device. These changes don't worry a million people, but I'm one of the few that is affected, so I'm pissed. Give me an Apple extended USB Keyboard. I know it isn't Apples "fault" I have specific needs/wants but I'm not the mass market, so i just have to find my own work around. On this, I just pass the short keyboard on to the person getting my old Mac and cling to my USB Extended.

i don't think its either Technical or Commercial, I think Apple is trying to give the best product to the widest number of people, within tightly constrained parameters. And as the adage goes "You can't please all of the people all of the time" opps that was "fool" ;)
</end rant>

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The Trackpad has my interest. I suffer from using a mouse, not all the time but enough for me to wish for a new way to interact with my iMac .. I also went out and purchased the new aluminium slim keyboard to see if the were easy to use ... I first bought the shortened keyboard and returned it the next day for the extended one ... can't live without the numerical keypad even if I don't use it, I need it there anyways.

Once upon a time I used a wireless keyboard/mouse but got sick of trying to figure out what was wrong with the mouse ... eventually I figured out that the batteries had died ... there was no notification of this and while I kept at it for a while, it eventually was binned. The keyboard however was faultless once it was paired with the mothership.

Reaction score
OK, guys.
I understand we all have to overcome some kind of frustration from time to time and assume no one can afford a "made to measure" configuration.
I'll then get me an extended USB keyboard along with my next Mac.
And i'll get the audio from my external USB soundcard for watching videos on my HDMI TV set.
No matter my MB Air looks like an centipede, and start gathering dust as soon it gets home.

One last advice needed : Trackpad or Magic mouse ?
THX

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Is this for your next Mac? Are you referring to the Mighty Mouse (Desktop) VS the Trackpad (Laptop)? Or are you considering attaching the newish Magic Trackpad to your MB Air?

FWIW, there are plenty of great non-Apple keyboards out there, don't think you need to stick with Apple's Extended Keyboard.

I have a Desktop and haven't any experience with the Magic Trackpad. It's difficult to say, I would have to take the plunge and buy one from say, Dick Smith's Electronics (no Mac Store here, only NextByte and they are atrocious for customer service) so with Dick Smith's it's vert easy to return the Trackpad, no questions asked.

I believe there is a trend to develop away from the Desktop Macs ... even maybe the Laptops too?

There are some truly fantastic Smart Phones out there now which in a few years could almost totally replace the Desktop PC if not now ... and even the iPads look promising and hint at the direction technology is heading in!

Maybe Dick Tracey wasn't too far fetched after all?

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for answering once again.
I wasn't still sure what I was going to do until a few minutes ago.

The MB air is going to stay as it is now, attached to its minidisplay port-to-HDMI and output sound via an external USB audio card. This will allow me to watch movies from where I work (250 Km away from where I live, so I often stay there overnight).
The macmini n°1 will be used home by my daughter-in-law.
The macmini N°2 stays at work, and is being used by my secretary, while I'll stick to my MB Pro.

The real problem is : my older computer : a DP G5 powermac, used by me for musical purposes (that's my hobby) is close to the end. It sometimes requires several hours before I can get it to power on.
This is why I'm considering purchase of a new Mac, let's say, an iMac.
Therefore the questions about mice and trackpads.
Please remember that i'm living in France, and we don't have such easy access to unusual hardware, downhere (plus it's much more expensive).

Any advice is welcome. Otherwise, i'll let you know. ;)

Ask a Question