[SOLVED] Install Mac OS 10.1 from CD on ext. HD?

Reaction score
  • In the office we work with a Mac G 4 Dual Processor with OS 10.1 (because we use Mac OS 9 oaccasionally) and I do some jobs at home on an iMac DV 400 (Mac OS 9.1, 512 MB RAM, 12 gig internal HD).
  • Now, is it possible to use the grey install disk which came with the office Mac, and install an independent yet bootable OS 10.1 on an external firewire HD at home to become more compatible with the office system setup? If not bootable, can I nevertheless install 10.1 on the ext. HD and activate and use it somehow?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Re: Install Mac OS 10.1 from CD on ext. HD?

Hello, you should be able to accomplish this if your external drive has a firewire connection.

Reaction score

Hello, you should be able to accomplish this if your external drive has a firewire connection.

Thanks, Walrus!

Yes, it will be a firewire version (probably Iomega brand), but are you sure the grey OS 10.1 installation cd which came with the G 4 will let me do this? Somewhere I read that only the black cd versions (?) will allow a bootable system on an hd.

Reaction score

From what I've read, the gray discs are machine specific but people have claimed to be able to accomplish this. However, if I've been misinformed, I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick up the other disc dirt cheap and having a good spare external drive is certainly money well spent anyway. It's certainly worth a shot. :) Have you considered upgrading to a newer Mac and operating system? They have some great deals on eBay. I just picked up four eMacs for almost nothing!

Reaction score

From what I've read, the gray discs are machine specific but people have claimed to be able to accomplish this. However, if I've been misinformed, I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick up the other disc dirt cheap and having a good spare external drive is certainly money well spent anyway. It's certainly worth a shot. :) Have you considered upgrading to a newer Mac and operating system? They have some great deals on eBay. I just picked up four eMacs for almost nothing!

Dear Walrus,

thanks for the "almost confirmation". I will buy a firewire hard disk tomorrow or so and try an 10.1 installation on that ,using the bundle cds. I will let you know about the results. Also, I am contemplating buying a new iMac, but this will happen much later this year.

Reaction score

"almost confirmation" :D My apologies. When relaying information I receive from articles or posts, I avoid speaking in absolutes. In fact, with computers, because of the many different variables, it's impossible to know for certain, in many cases, if what works on one will work on another. Thanks for keeping us posted. Good luck with the iMac!

Reaction score

One other thing you may want to address is the RAM 512Mb is really pushing the envelope for OSX

Reaction score

At least a gig of RAM would certainly be nice. However, the recommended RAM requirements for Puma are one hundred and twenty eight megabytes.

Reaction score

One other thing you may want to address is the RAM 512Mb is really pushing the envelope for OSX

Thanks, Teapot!

I know that more than 512 MB ram would be perfect, but I think for the old OS 10.1 ("Puma") this should be enough! See also today's comment from Walruss.

Have a nice day!

Reaction score

At least a gig of RAM would certainly be nice. However, the recommended RAM requirements for Puma are one hundred and twenty eight megabytes.

Hello, Walruss!

That's what I figured, so I think I am on the safe side with 512 MB. Anyway, would my old iMac DV 400 be able to handle 1024 MB? Somewhere I read about obstacles regarding this amount of ram.

Thanks for your help in anticipation!

Reaction score

Hello, Walruss!

That's what I figured, so I think I am on the safe side with 512 MB. Anyway, would my old iMac DV 400 be able to handle 1024 MB? Somewhere I read about obstacles regarding this amount of ram.

Thanks for your help in anticipation!

Hello, according to Apple 512 is the max on this Mac. However, "unofficially" it's supposed to handle a gig.

Reaction score

Hello, according to Apple 512 is the max on this Mac. However, "unofficially" it's supposed to handle a gig.

Hi Walruss,

I did it!

I bought an external Iomega Minimax HD with 250 gb,
put the grey 10.1 system cd in my iMac DV 400 slot,
formatted the disk (to HFS+ Extended),
restarted and pressed the "c" key,
installed the system following the hints on the screen,
restarted and pressed "c" again - there it was: I was in OS 10.1!

I made sure that my old (internal) OS 9.1 was still functioning by restarting into the old system. No problems! I could use it, including my internet connection as always. When starting old programs, OS 9.1 was started automatically. Fantastic! Yet, I did not manage to get an internet connection via DSL with my provider last night, so I have to work on this over the weekend.

Thanks to you, Walruss, and the other friends who helped me with this !!!

Reaction score

Hello, now this is an absolute! Fantastic! :)

Ask a Question