(Solved) Dock problems - missing Applications-icon and transfer folder

Reaction score
I'm quite new to using Mac (OS 10.6) and accidential I have deleted the blue shortcut for applications-folder and transfered files in the Dock. I have tried searching for the problem but can not seem to find anything about restoring these particularly items in the dock.

From the Finder I have tried dragging them down next to the Document icon located to the right in the dock - but with no luck.

Can someone help me?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Re: Dock problems - missing Applications-icon and transfer folder

Was the shortcut a blue folder icon? Are you missing 2 shortcuts or 1?

From the Finder I have tried dragging them down next to the Document icon located to the right in the dock - but with no luck.

Have you been dragging the file to the right of the broken line as seen in the image below?

20101118-eugy1nawkuuytm3trb3wm2dm4q.jpg

Reaction score

Hi Marty - Yes it was the blue icons for the shortcuts to the Applications and Transfers. When I got the MacBook Air I had 3 blue icons in the right side of the Dock; Documents, Transfers and Applications but unfortunately I now only have 1 blue icon/shortcut for my Documents (stacked folder). So yes I am missing 2....

When I open Finder and try to drag the Application Folder (from the left pane in Finder) down to the Dock (yes I do try dragging it to the right side of the red arrow you have drawn) - but nothing happens.

Can you help me?

Reaction score

Problem solved :)

Instead of dragging the icons from the left pane down to the Dock I tried dragging the folder from the finder down to the Dock - I have not done that previously - only tried doing it from the left pane in Finder where I see my disks etc.

Thank you so much for the inspirational help :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score

Have you rebooted since this? Try dragging the Applications folder from the location in my image, down to the right of the dock:

20101118-q11m78j5qqghdtqnb622ng533h.jpg

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score

Nice one karstenjensen.dk ;)

FWIW, if you drag a folder from the left pane in a Finder window you will be removing it from that pane ... feel free to ask away if you have any other queries :)

Reaction score
Dear Marty - thanks for the illustration - had I just found it some weeks ago I would have missed a lot of problems in resolving this issue. Have just bought the new MacBook Air and using OS X is waaaaaay different from Windows :) But It's getting better :)

Reaction score
Dear Marty,

Thanks for the links, they come in handy. The last link I already knew but had forgotten :) The first link however is pretty good and will give me good knowledge of the Mac-life :)
A friend lend me som videoes on switching to Mac and I'm currently studying them....

Thanks for the help,

Have a nice weekend....

Reaction score
Thanks again,

I'm not really using iTunes since I have a Sonos system. iTunes and I are not best friends. I think it is Apples worst program ever. But since I'm using an iPhone you probertly know that you are kind of forced in using this program.....

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks again,

I'm not really using iTunes since I have a Sonos system. iTunes and I are not best friends. I think it is Apples worst program ever. But since I'm using an iPhone you probertly know that you are kind of forced in using this program.....

The Sonos system sound awesome ...

Yes and no ... I use Senuti (iTunes spelled backwards) to transfer movies/music from my iPod to my Mac.

There are similar 3rd Party apps for the iPhone etc ...

Ask a Question