[SOLVED] Cannot Copy (file in use)

Reaction score
I have been experiencing a frustrating phenomenon lately and I haven't been able to find a solution so I want to see if anyone can help me out:

When attempting to copy files from finder via an ethernet network, from my Macbook (running OS 10.6.4) to a NAS drive on my network (Buffalo Terastation), I receive the error: cannot complete the operation because the file "FILENAME" is in use.

However, after acknowledging the error I can retry the same copy action and be successful. Sometimes it takes one retry, and other times it takes many, but eventually they all copy successfully.

I have tried using utilities to determine if these files are being used by applications and they never are. I have also tried disabling finder previews for both finder windows (mac and NAS drive). This has made no difference. Other Macs on the network have also experienced this and they are running previous versions of OS X.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Re: Cannot Copy (file in use)

Hello,
If memory serves, others with this problem were able to solve it by changing the files that they wanted to copy, from "icon view" to "list view" before copying. I've never had the need to try this, but it might be worth a shot.

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I've tried this method after reading about it on a forum, but it did not work for my situation.

What I find really strange is that there doesn't seem to be any factors that affect the likelihood of it happening or not. I've tried altering so many variables trying to isolate the cause, yet it can happen 30x during one transfer, or once, or twice, or anywhere in between. The only trend that I've noticed is that, overall, it seems to be more and more frequent (happens much more now as opposed to six months ago).

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Reaction score

Hey, thanks a lot! I hadn't come across this solution before. I'm going to try this tomorrow although I'm not sure how to specify the connection type (smb vs afp) because as soon as I connect to my network the shared drives just show up in finder. Maybe I can manually connect to the IP address of the Tera Station using Safari? Or Finder --> Connect to Server? Anyway, thanks man... I'll post my results.

Reaction score

Success! I don't want to jinx it, but it's been working perfectly by connecting to the share via finder>go>connect to server and entering the IP. Thank you!!! I will never look at flaming pentagrams the same ;)

Ask a Question