Software Update & Lime Wire

Reaction score
Hello mac-helpers!
My name is Gina and this is my first time in this forum and I could use some help. i have a mac ibook, 10.4.7, 700MHz PowerPC G3.

I was having problems first with my software updates, when I would go to the apple and click on it, it would say that I was not connected to the internet when indeed I am, I have DSL. I've been searching and reading around on these boards and went into my network and unchecked a proxy box that said web proxy (HTTP) which was the only box checked (it's unchecked now) and presto, my software updates is now working and I am updating a few things as I type.

I hoped this one little change would make the Lime Wire that I just installed last night work but it did not. When I am on LimeWire it basically says the same thing, that I'm not connected to my network. I've e-mail aresultra support and they wrote me an e-mail speaking of ports and firewalls and such. I have no idea how to change port # or were to go to do that or anything about firewalls for that matter.

If anyone could help me figure out how to get this LimeWire to connect so I can start downloading music for my husband I would greatly appreciate it, as would he. Thank you so much everyone!

Gina

Reaction score
Hello mac-helpers!
My name is Gina and this is my first time in this forum and I could use some help. i have a mac ibook, 10.4.7, 700MHz PowerPC G3.

I was having problems first with my software updates, when I would go to the apple and click on it, it would say that I was not connected to the internet when indeed I am, I have DSL. I've been searching and reading around on these boards and went into my network and unchecked a proxy box that said web proxy (HTTP) which was the only box checked (it's unchecked now) and presto, my software updates is now working and I am updating a few things as I type.

I hoped this one little change would make the Lime Wire that I just installed last night work but it did not. When I am on LimeWire it basically says the same thing, that I'm not connected to my network. I've e-mail aresultra support and they wrote me an e-mail speaking of ports and firewalls and such. I have no idea how to change port # or were to go to do that or anything about firewalls for that matter.

If anyone could help me figure out how to get this LimeWire to connect so I can start downloading music for my husband I would greatly appreciate it, as would he. Thank you so much everyone!

Gina
Hi Gina, if you're considering using this program, you might want to reconsider or at the very least use it in moderation. The last thing you need is some joker with a suit knocking on your door telling you that you owe a million dollars for downloading some tunes. Also, keep an eye on the file sizes. For instance, if you see a three minute song and it's only 700 kb's it's either garbage or a possible virus. Anyway, this link might come in handy. :)
http://www.gnutellaforums.com/connection-problems/78124-if-lw-will-not-connect.html

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I use LW occasionally on a PC and feel that these days there seems to be so much masquerading a legit files but as Walrus pointed out, a quick check of the file size tells you that it is totally bogus.

I have just discovered News Groups and that my ISP allows me to download content such as movies/tv shows/music via a 3rd party app called NZBDrop. I'm still trying to work out exactly how to download something successfully and feel like I'm trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone for the 1st ever time .... but for me this is the way to go and not the LimeWire way ...

There are other Mac apps like Azureus or Transmission that may be worth a look too .... I haven't tried either but have seen plenty mention of them around the forums. They are bit torrent clients BTW.

Reaction score
I use LW occasionally on a PC and feel that these days there seems to be so much masquerading a legit files but as Walrus pointed out, a quick check of the file size tells you that it is totally bogus.

I have just discovered News Groups and that my ISP allows me to download content such as movies/tv shows/music via a 3rd party app called NZBDrop. I'm still trying to work out exactly how to download something successfully and feel like I'm trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone for the 1st ever time .... but for me this is the way to go and not the LimeWire way ...

There are other Mac apps like Azureus or Transmission that may be worth a look too .... I haven't tried either but have seen plenty mention of them around the forums. They are bit torrent clients BTW.
I still use LimeWire as well. I rather like it. It's ideal for locating off the wall and rare items, among other things. :D

Ask a Question