Software update notifications

Reaction score
Every day I am notified that I need to update various stuff, i.e. Garage Band , Safari, remote desktop etc. However I have updated everything (except Remote Desktop which I never use) and I still get notified . It is very annoying . When I go to the Apple Store updates it will show below that I just updated a week ago, yet will still show that I need to update the same thing. And what about something like Remote Desktop which I don't and won't ever use? How can I tell it to stop notifying me?

Reaction score
I had the same issue for both of my Macs, and what was particularly annoying was that I was getting update notifications for software (Apple stuff) I do not use. The fix is actually not difficult. I assume it is the same for the Mac OS you are using, as I use Sierra, OS 10.12.5:

1. Open System Preferences, either from the Dock or from the Apple Menu.

2. Click of the icon for the App Store.

3. Uncheck both "Automatically check for updates" and "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs".

That will do it.

Of course, you'll need to check for any updates yourself.

Reaction score
I had the same issue for both of my Macs, and what was particularly annoying was that I was getting update notifications for software (Apple stuff) I do not use. The fix is actually not difficult. I assume it is the same for the Mac OS you are using, as I use Sierra, OS 10.12.5:

1. Open System Preferences, either from the Dock or from the Apple Menu.

2. Click of the icon for the App Store.

3. Uncheck both "Automatically check for updates" and "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs".

That will do it.

Of course, you'll need to check for any updates yourself.

Thanks very much!!

Ask a Question