Software Update Not Showing up in Update Menu

Reaction score
I recently opened iTunes and when I connected my phone to my computer it said my phone cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. I went to try and download the latest version of iTunes, but couldn't download that because I only have OS X v10.5.8. I went to Software Update from the drop down menu, but when I click on it it says my software is up to date. If I don't have the latest version of OS X why is it not showing up in my Software Update menu? Is there anywhere else I can download the latest version besides from the Software Update menu?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, the latest version of iTunes is 11.1.3, which requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. It isn't supported on MacOS X Leopard 10.5.8. The latest version you can install with your OS version is iTunes 10.6.3.

You will have to upgrade (paid) your version of Mac OS X. What Mac model do you have?

C

Reaction score
Yep happened to a friend who just bought iPhone 5C she was running Leopard on a 2008 Macbook, so bought the SL install disks from Apple and all is ok now.

Ask a Question