Shared

Reaction score
On my MacBook Pro, on the Finder, among the folders there, being the Desktop, Applications, user, etc., there is a folder called Shared. In it is an item called Art Cohn's MacBook Pro (2). I am the only user of this Mac, and I haven't shared this computer with anyone. I don't know what this is, and would like to get rid of it, but when I open it, the Send To Trash is not highlighted. How can I get rid of this?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try pressing  & hold/drag the item from the sidebar, or Ctrl click the folder & choose Remove From Sidebar

Reaction score
I don't want it just removed from the sidebar. It must be embedded in the system somewhere, but I can't find it. I want it removed from the system altogether.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It is probably the standard Shared folder you will find on all Macs in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared. It cannot be deleted, as it is required by OS X. If you do not have file sharing enabled in  > System Preferences... > Sharing, then it will remain empty and not cause any security issues.

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you seeing it in the sidebar as Spawn_Dooley eluded to?
-You can change the name of your MacBook Pro in  > System Preferences... > Sharing > Computer Name:

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 17" 2.53GHz Core i5 (A1297) - Mid 2010 MC024LL/A SKU17697

MC024LL/A GS17697

OSX Version 10.6.8

Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

I'm not interested in removing the Shared folder, but I am interest in removing what's in it: Art Cohn's MacBook Pro (2)

I'm not Art Cohn. Somebody else has embedded their server into my system.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You should be able to simply navigate to Macintosh HD > Users > Shared and delete the Art Cohn's MacBook Pro (2) folder. I am not sure why it is in there, but it's not that they have embedded their server into your system. You may have just been on a network at some point and had file sharing enabled, which allowed the folder to be created.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

C

Reaction score
You should be able to simply navigate to Macintosh HD > Users > Shared and delete the Art Cohn's MacBook Pro (2) folder. I am not sure why it is in there, but it's not that they have embedded their server into your system. You may have just been on a network at some point and had file sharing enabled, which allowed the folder to be created.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

C
I found a couple of Shared folders, but none of them have a file Art Cohn's MacBook Pro (2) in them. The only place it appears is in the Sidebar in a Shared folder there, and I can't get rid of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just checked, and the name has now changed to Peter Untiet's MacBook Pro.

What in the world is that all about?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? It may help us diagnose the issue if we can see where the folder is showing up.
-Is your wireless network protected with a password? If not, add one. If so, change the password and restart.
-Do you have file sharing enabled?
-Do you live in an apartment/condo complex or are you on a business/public network? If so, someone else has file sharing enabled and you may see their Mac as a shared device.

C

Reaction score
I am presently in a motel for another week using their WiFi system.

Attachments

• SharedStuff.jpg
    SharedStuff.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Sharing.jpg
    Sharing.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 271

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There you go. Since you are on a shared public network, you will see any Macs on the network that have file/screen sharing or remote management enabled. It's a function of Bonjour. If you don't want to see them listed, click the disclosure triangle next to Shared, and the list will collapse. Your Mac is secure per your settings your the Sharing.jpg photo, and they shouldn't be a able to see your Mac. Once you leave the motel and its network, those two Macs will disappear.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
There you go. Since you are on a shared public network, you will see any Macs on the network that have file/screen sharing or remote management enabled. It's a function of Bonjour. If you don't want to see them listed, click the disclosure triangle next to Shared, and the list will collapse. Your Mac is secure per your settings your the Sharing.jpg photo, and they shouldn't be a able to see your Mac. Once you leave the motel and its network, those two Macs will disappear.

Hope that helps,

C
Thank you for your responses. I logged on this morning and the folder was gone. Last night I noticed two in the folder. So, yes, if they are logged on, the folder would appear again with the logged on Macs listed in the folder.

Next week I will be into a permanent residence again, and with a wired connection rather than AirPort. When I was on a wired connection before, I never saw a Shared folder in the SideBar of the Finder window. So, based on that, I can see now that I won't see it again after next week. I was concerned that a hacker had entered my system and was downloading my files.

Thank you again for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If they disconnect from the network, then their computers will disappear. Sometimes, it may take a little while after they actually leave the network.

You didn't see it at your permanent residence, because no other Macs with sharing enabled were connected to your network.

BTW - Bonjour works on both wired and wireless networks.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question