Shared Server Login Issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So here's something that's been giving me an issue, connecting my work MacBookPro to my work Shared Server.

• Everyone in the office connects to the Shared Server through the Network.
  • afaik, I'm the only one experiencing a problem logging in.
  • I have been able to connect to the server from my first day in the office up to last week.
  • I've spoken to the guy who monitors the server and he reset my password and tried it on his Mac w/ no problem.
  • My dept. Director also tried logging in with my credentials on his desktop, no problem.
It seems like the problem here would be the MBP, but I don't know why the login process all of a sudden stopped working one day.

Putting in any password makes the login popup shake, as though the password were wrong. No other messages have popped up.

I just can't figure this one out :<
Any help would be appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Is the shared drive hosted on a Windows server?
-Is it a company Mac and are there any MDM profiles in  > System Preferences... > Profiles?
-Is you user a local user or network user via Active Directory? If so, your IT folks should be able to unbind then re-bind your Mac, which may help with authentication.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory,
Thanks for the help, but it we've been able to figure out the problem.

Just to clarify in case someone with similar issues come up:
-The account initially had a ~30 day password auto reset. It was supposed to alert me to reset the given initial password (which was meant to only be temporary) but after that had come and gone, I was locked out.
-When the server maintenance guy found out, he requested a new password for my account from our IT Service group. Turns out he only maintains the server to the basic minimum and most of the work is done by third party, which is fine.
-However, the password the IT guys sent him, and thus to me, had a typo, so the 'problem' seemed to persist.

I had gotten in direct touch with the IT guys and they realized their mistake after logging in remotely and trying the password they had on hand, and having me try what I had on hand, and then comparing the two.

A goofy mistake but this would explain why it seemed so unlike other issues I've read up on. Human error, am I right?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, human error on their part.

Glad you were able to figure it out, and thanks for sharing the resolution.

C

Ask a Question