Printing to a shared printer

Reaction score
I have an HP printer connected to a windows10 computer that is shared. I can print to it from my son's MacBook Air, but not from my wife's MacBook Pro. Both are running El Capitan. I have removed/re-installed the printer multiple times, and have reset the printing system. When I install the printer, everything appears to work. It sees the windows workgroup and the printer, allows me to select the HP driver, and says the printer has been installed. But as soon as I try to print anything, the job just sits in the queue and the error message beneath it says "unable to connect to server".

One thing I did notice is that when I installed the printer on my son's computer and then went to print, it asked me for a user name/password on the remote computer. My wife's computer never asks for that...so perhaps there is some sort of authentication issue going on?

I'm rather at a loss as to how to proceed. She's taking an on-line course and needs to be able to print....

Reaction score
Hi,

Try this plug the printer into your wife's MacBook Pro USB and try to print if it does which it should do then shut down the windows10 computer and your son's MacBook Air. Now disconnect the printer cable and try again.

Ask a Question