Setting Up VLC app With Apple TV

Reaction score
I can't find instructions on how to set up the VLC app so it connects to my iMac.
I tried VideoLAN forums but I can't find a general set up guide.
My searches only show me how to use the app not how to set up the app.

Under Local Network, "Connect to Server" are the following text fields:

User
Password
Port

Underneath that it says Workgroup

Thanks for any pointers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I haven't used the VLC app on my tv 4K before. I would recommend using The VideoLAN Forums directly, as I am sure there would be better/faster support there, since it is VLC-focused.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't understand their sign up process and when I attempt to do so they pegged me as a spam bot. Which is why I came here.

Edit: I found an email address from their main site. I'll try contacting them directly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update:
I contacted VLC and got a prompt friendly reply. I asked how I would set up the VLC app so it connects to my computer.

VLC replied:
"There is nothing to configure on Apple TV. After installing VLC, it will find your computer automatically on your local network as long as SMB, FTP or UPnP shares are enabled on the computer."

I replied:
"I actually have a follow up question. When I click on the computer icon in the VLC app it asks for the following information.
Under Local Network, "Connect to Server" are the following text fields: User, Password, Port"

VLC replied:
You can leave Port and WORKGROUP empty (or actually also user/password if you have none set), if you don’t have a specific configuration.

I replied:
"Unfortunately the app still wont work for me. It says "SMBv1 Authentication Required”. I found a discussion regarding this topic on the VideoLAN forums but no one had a fix for this issue."

I did not get a reply after that. There's been no answer or solution presented as far as I can tell. So it should be "install and play" so to speak but it's just not that simple. If I need to configure something I wasn't provided information on how to configure the app.

Ask a Question