SOLVED Re-setting a bricked iPhone 6S

Reaction score
Hi, Woke up this morning to a totally dead phone. Fine yesterday, 83% battery I just happened to notice before bed. Hadn't left it anywhere dodgy - just the sofa. Been trying suggestions about holding down side+home buttons (and variations of). Nothing. Have spent most of the day on and off trying to resolve.

I phoned it from my landline and realised that my voicemail was still working, (it went immediately to voicemail, no ring tone/nothing) so have disabled that via macbookpro and my provider account online. I've emailed the most important contacts just to let them know it is u/s.

My (UK) phone service provider not much help - isn't useful that I have to self-isolate for the next two weeks and it's not possible currently to ask a friend to take it in. Provider won't allow me to post it.

Am wondering if there was a problem with the latest software update but can't find any details online of what was loaded, when - most recent publicised by Apple was late July. (My memory suggesting that something happened in the last couple of days but not sure what???)

Tried to do a total re-set via iTunes as some advised, but Music doesn't look remotely as it "should" from the instructions given, can find no iPhone icon anywhere. My stored information on the phone is minimal and not a problem to re-input manually. Least of my concerns. If it had been successful.

I unsynched iphone from macbookpro some months ago as it was causing other problems - not sure if that's causing some of these issues?

Would be very grateful for ideas outside what I've already done, for even though I don't use the phone to anywhere near it's full capabilities, it is still vital to me for some contacts for phoning and messaging. Especially at the moment. Many thanks.

Sorry - should have said (may be useful) Macbookpro using latest Catalina 10.15.6. iPhone - not sure as can't access it, but it's always kept totally up to date so will be the latest.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the late response.

-Voicemail will still work, since it is actually stored on your cellular provider's server and synced to your iPhone, unlike the old landline and answering machines.
-In Catalina, you won't use iTunes/Music app to sync your iPhone. It will appear in Finder: How to sync your iPhone with your Mac in Catalina.
-You may need to use DFU mode (this will erase everything, as you will restore the iPhone to factory settings): How to put your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode

See if any of that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thank you, that's ok and thanks for getting back to me. Information will potentially be useful for anyone else with same symptoms.

It seems it could only have been the ios update last weekend. Zero other reason for what happened. Apple took ownership of the problem on Monday, and after it being physically sent via ups to the Czech Republic for diagnostics and potential repair on Tuesday, they sent me a new phone instead which arrived Thursday. Back to normal now which is a massive relief.

Thanks very much again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Glad they took care of you. If it was a hardware issue, then we would have tried a bunch of things to no avail. ;)

Stay healthy and safe,

C

Reaction score
It was a comfortingly slick operation once underway. Ah... trying a bunch of stuff was Sunday's lessons learnt for the day - and I did learn a lot! :)

Thank you - and you too.
J

Ask a Question