iPad settings has email not phone number

Reaction score
I get text messages to and from my iPhone. It has my phone number. But, my iPad just has my email address and I've tried to change it to my phone number but there doesn't seem to be a way. So, my text messages won't sync to both devices. Help please. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which model iPad?
-Which model iPhone?
-Which version of iOS on each?
-Are you signed in with the same iCloud account on both? The email accounts in the Mail app aren't related to texting.

You should be able to get texts on both. Using my iCloud account, I get text messages on my iPhone, iPads, and several Macs.

C

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which model iPad?
-Which model iPhone?
-Which version of iOS on each?
-Are you signed in with the same iCloud account on both? The email accounts in the Mail app aren't related to texting.

You should be able to get texts on both. Using my iCloud account, I get text messages on my iPhone, iPads, and several Macs.

C

Yes, same iCloud account.
iPad Air 12.4.5 , iPhone 6s Plus 13.3.1 (Strange, my iPad says my software is up-to-date though. No update waiting to be installed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The iPad Air only supports up to iOS 12.4.5, so that's why it shows no updates available. The iPad Air 2 supports up to iOS 13.3.1.

On your iPhone, check: Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure your phone number and iCloud email address are checked and Start new conversations from is set to your phone number.

On your iPad, the same settings should be set.

Let me know if that is the case.

C

Reaction score
As stated in my earlier post, on my iPhone I have the phone number, but on my iPad all I have is my email address for send and receive. It will not allow me to add a number or change it. The only options it gives me is change location, sign out and cancel. I signed out the other day and it caused me another set of problems, but I fixed that.

Thanks for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood. I meant it should list the phone number and email address(es) on the iPad as well, but maybe because it isn't on the same version of iOS it's not. Is your Apple ID email an actual .Mac/.Me/.iCloud account, or another email address? That may have something to do with it, if it's not an full Apple ID.

C

Reaction score
It’s the same email address I’ve always used. There is no option for a phone number to be revised or added.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in answering, but I think the problem has been fixed. As Mr. Cooper suggested, I went into Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and Clicked on my email address. Only thing is, my Gmail address was all that was there, not my iCloud address. Anyway I think it worked! Thanks everyone.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it seems to be working.

Let us know if you have additional issues.

C

Ask a Question