iPad won’t send mail.

Reaction score
I have several email addresses set up on iPad Mail and one day my iPad suddenly stopped sending emails but is receiving them okay. It doesn’t matter what address is used as the default or where I am when I try to send an email. The message I am receiving is: The server rejected one of the recipient’s addresses and the mail has been placed in the Outbox” where it sits indefinitely until I remove it. Can anyone help me as there are times I need to be able to send emails from my iPad. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It initially sounds like you may have a bad email address in your Contacts list.

-Which version of iOS?
-Can you send to any email address, or only certain ones?
-Who are the email providers of you accounts?
-I assume that other network functions work normally - Safari, App Store, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

It initially sounds like you may have a bad email address in your Contacts list.

-Which version of iOS?
-Can you send to any email address, or only certain ones?
-Who are the email providers of you accounts?
-I assume that other network functions work normally - Safari, App Store, etc.?

C
The version of IOS is 13.3 but the problem has existed for some time on earlier versions too. I can’t send to any email address, regardless of whichever of my two email addresses I use. The same two email addresses work fine from my Mac.

I even tried sending from each of my two email accounts back to the same one and the problem still occurs. Neither does it matter which connection I am using to access the internet. One of my email addresses is hosted by an independent provider and works fine from my Mac. The other one is a Yahoo email address and I usually access that from the Yahoo website. However, on my iPad I access it from mail, where it worked fine for a time.

All other network functions work fine and, as I say, I can receive emails into both email accounts with problem, I just can’t reply to them. Would an invalid email address in my contacts list cause this problem even if I wasn’t sending or receiving emails from it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional.

A bad email address shouldn't cause the issue if you are sending to another email address.

I think the best thing to try would be to completely delete the two email accounts from the iPad and then re-add them one at time to ensure they are working. That shouldn't affect anything on your Mac. Also, it might be a good idea to check your contacts at some point, to make sure they are correct.

Definitely make sure the iPad has a current iCloud or computer-based backup before proceeeding, as that is always a recommended step by Apple and us here at Mac Help.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional.

A bad email address shouldn't cause the issue if you are sending to another email address.

I think the best thing to try would be to completely delete the two email accounts from the iPad and then re-add them one at time to ensure they are working. That shouldn't affect anything on your Mac. Also, it might be a good idea to check your contacts at some point, to make sure they are correct.

Definitely make sure the iPad has a current iCloud or computer-based backup before proceeeding, as that is always a recommended step by Apple and us here at Mac Help.

C
Thank you Cory. I’ll perhaps try what you suggest and clear my email accounts and set them back up again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds good. Let us know how it goes or if you have additional questions.

Good luck!

C

Ask a Question