iPad pro shuts down suddenly

Reaction score
ipadpro 12.9 inch yesterday suddenly shut down while working on it (Drawing app). Would not restart for an hour. When i connected it for loading it started again. noticed it was still full at 57% , so that was not reason. It shut off again after 5 min. Could not get it started again. I tried restart with top button and top with volume button. nothing happens, i can still hear it clicking on off, can activate Siri, screen very dimly lights up. Possible reasons? I got a message yesterday morning that the Ipad had updated automatically, so it will be latest IOS. I am on holiday so do not have laptop with me. Yesterday also reconfigured Face ID. I read at other forums it could have to do with update. what to do? I do not prefer hard reset for the data. Would people in Applestore be able to connect via laptop maybe? Thank you for help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which generation of the iPad Pro 12.9"?
-What storage capacity?
-So, it updated to iOS 12.3.1?
-Do you know how much free space was left?
-Hard reset (DFU mode - Power and Home buttons) - did you hold them for 10 seconds and wait for the screen to go black, release the buttons and wait a few seconds, and try the Power button?

Yes, the Apple Store can diagnose and perform a reinstall via iTunes without erasing the device.

C

Reaction score
hi Cory,.
many thanks for your answer that gives me hope!
-generation: bought it 08 01 201- contains facetracking and usb 3
- ipad 12.9 wifi 1TB
-free space: nearly all. 1 terabyte. just started using it more intensely in fact
-IOS version: , since it updated yesterday should be last one
-hard reset: tried it as you specified. screen hardly lights up (very dark grey), which is why I fear for a complete reset-
-today went to an appleshop, they said to connect via itunes one would beed to see the screen (for the passw). It was not a repair shop, so I guess there is more answers to that as you indicate.
Tomirrow I will be at a repairshop.
-the app i was using is Procreate.
Again, thanks a lot for your help!
Eric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Sounds like it may be the backlight. I woud wait and see what the shop says, and we'll go from there.

C

Reaction score
hi Cory,
at the Applestore they tried to do a reinstall (connecting to Itunes), but the screen did not show anything so they can not proceed and it won't start up. That is at least what they told me. It felt a bit like a standard procedure.
So it looks like a hardwareproblem, doesn't it? Still I would like to get the data out of it. Is it possible that the ipad works, except the screen? (I can still activate Siri) Could a connection be made so that I have access from my laptop? I can only do it in a week or so when I will be back home. Anything else I can try? Thanks a lot! Eric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, it does sound like a hardware issue. You may be able to get data off, if it is recognized when connected to a computer.

-What kind of data are you trying to recover?
-Were you using iCloud and syncing any data that way?

C

Reaction score
hello,
my regular data will be in the cloud, but probably not the data of the drawing and sketching tool I use. It is Procreate. I will be at my laptop in a week, if it is ok for you, I will try again sole of the steps you already proposed.
Thanks a lot! Eric

Reaction score
@ Cory,
Bad and good news.
The machine is definitely broke and has been replaced.
The good news: all apps and data apparantly were backed up, including the data and drawings in Procreate.
Thank you very much for your help,
eric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad to hear it.

I was hoping Procreate would have implemented the iCloud storage component. They have, as well as Google Drive, and I believe that iCloud Drive is the default if you are logged into your iCloud account.

We appreciate you letting us know it is resolved.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question