Resetting security for External Plug In

Reaction score
I downloaded a dmg file that contains a component file for a guitar amp simulator for Garageband. It did not contain an authentication certificate, so my Mac "ignored" the file after alerting me to the fact that it was not secure. I know now that I should have opened Security and Privacy settings to allow the plugin (it is legitimate, and does not pose a risk), but I failed to do so.

Now, I can't get Garageband to even see the component file. I have deleted and re-added the component file. I have added the same component file with a changed name, I have re-installed Garageband, and I have reinstalled Catalina. I even reset all permissions through the repair portal. None of these measures has caused the security to stop ignoring this component.

Is there a way to reset the security protocol for this file, so that I can have the option of allowing it again, through privacy and security?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Replying to my own question, as I was able to solve the issue myself. There were 2 parts:

Part 1: Manually allow each plug-in through the Terminal app using the following syntax for the component file and each of the VST files:
spctl --add /Path/To/Application.app

Part 2: Delete the following file in User Preferences:
com.apple.audio.InfoHelper.plist

And the following file in the Audio User Cache:
com.apple.audiounits.sandboxed.cache

And that solved the issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to help, but glad you found a solution.

Thanks for posting the solution for the possible benefit to others in the future.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Ask a Question