resetting main password

Reaction score
Somehow in the past couple of months, working with a Verizon tech on a problem, the main password for the computer was reset. Neither of us was able to recall the password. I have been stymied twice lately when trying to delete a program. When I drag it to the trash a box pops up requesting my password. Which I do not know. Is there any way I can find that password and get things back on an even keel.
Dave

Reaction score
Somehow in the past couple of months, working with a Verizon tech on a problem, the main password for the computer was reset. Neither of us was able to recall the password. I have been stymied twice lately when trying to delete a program. When I drag it to the trash a box pops up requesting my password. Which I do not know. Is there any way I can find that password and get things back on an even keel.
Dave

I can understand your frustration, Steamer Dave. Myself, I am forced to remember my password (same on both of my Macs), as when either of my Macs boot up (or restart), I first have to select my "main/user" account, and enter my password. Also, I constructed my password in a specific manner, so that I would not forget it.

In any event, when I did a google search of "How to find one's main password on a Mac", a number of "hits" came up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=res....0..0.0....0...1c..64.serp..0.0.0.imh0ysjuPuQ

That first one, about booting to recovery mode, allows you to reset your password without needing your original one. The link in that same box, from Macworld UK, contains a couple of ways to do it, including the same one mentioned above.

Hopefully that will work for you. OH, and by the way, if you are successful with this, make sure to pick a password that is "easy" to remember!

Reaction score
So, you could not boot, via Command-R, to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, right? What exact Mac OS are you using?

Reaction score
I was able to boot in but the options available were not in line with the description in the instructions.

Reaction score
OK, I think I see the "discrepancy". You did not state what OS you are using, but if it's Sierra (OS 10.12, 10.12.1, 10.12.2, or 10.12.3), the instructions are "somewhat" different.

I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.3, and I just booted my machine to that (hidden) Recovery HD partition. Here are the instructions:
  1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. ...
  3. Here is the different part. At the top of the screen, you'll see the menu headings:
macos Utilities File Edit Utilities Window

4. Click on the Utilities heading (the one between Edit and Window), and select Terminal.
5. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return.

Hopefully, that will work. I actually have never booted to that (hidden) Recovery partition, as I have other ways of recovering. But, this is good to know. (In actuality, there are 2 more options under that Utilities menu: Firmware Password Utility, and Network Utility. I wonder what they would be used for).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am using OS X El Capitan V 10.11.5 I see that there is an update to 10.11.6 but will hold off on that for now.

Reaction score
OK, fine. So what happens when you boot your Mac from the (hidden) Recovery HD partition? Do you see that Terminal option either when you click on Disk Utility in that menu that appears (the 4th option), or following what I stated above, about going to the Utilities menu?

Reaction score
Have not done that again. and doubt I can do it tonight. Had an 11 hour day and will have another one tomorrow. At 77 that wears on me. I will follow your instructions Sunday afternoon after the event participants go home.
I am a bit concerned about this password in that I have two passwords that I use, one of which I must use when I bring up anything online the other......Let me shut down and go thru that so I know what I am talking about. Back shortly.
Dave

Reaction score
OK, I have the scenario.
There is no password on boot up.
there is a password for Thunderbird which works
when I bring up a web site I am ask for the master password for the software security device and it works
when I try to send verizon IHAUdater to the trash bin I get the message "Finder wants to make changes, type your password to allow this. No password I have works. Can I get rid of finder and remove this software another way?

Ask a Question