Resetting to factory not working

Reaction score
I have been trying to do a complete 'factory reset' on a 2008 MacBook which originally came with OS X Snow Leopard - in order to pass it on to a new user. I had eventually upgraded to El Capitan & replaced the HDD with an SSD. I have successfully followed instructions to erase the disk & re-installed Snow Leopard, then moved on up to El Capitan, using my Apple id/credentials to sign in & download/install. I understand that I should be able to roll back via 'recovery mode' to a fresh install of El Capitan with none of my personal details but each time I try to achieve this I encounter problems at the macOS utilities stage. I get a message showing the hard drive & an exclamation mark & cannot go any further. I have noticed that when in disk utilities there are 4 entries. I understand that I should be erasing the actual disk which is the very first entry & not the indented one – or the lower ones. However in this view on another Mac I use, it only shows the actual SSD & then indented is 'MacOS'. Any help would be very welcome as I have now tried this several times with no success. I must be doing something wrong but not sure what, yet! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
hi - I have followed the instructions in the links to Apple but still cannot achieve a clean install. I have been trying to erase the very top entry (as advised) but no joy. Any advice would be extremely welcome - thanks. (photos of what I see in disk utility are attached).
IMG_20210213_173810318.jpeg
IMG_20210213_173820371.jpeg
IMG_20210213_173831583.jpeg
IMG_20210213_173840611.jpeg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

What happens when you select the CT240BX200SSD1 Media and click Erase? Do you get an error message?

C

Reaction score
Hi - I get the message as in attached photo. My process is: restart, recovery, page displaying 'what language', OSX utilities, disk utility, choosing top entry (CT240BX200SSD1 Media) click erase, error message. Very frustrating... Regards
2021-02-19 13.01.22.jpeg

Ask a Question