SOLVED Resetting Mac 20 inch mid2007

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Do you have any installer discs for Mac OS X? That model came with Mac OS X 10.4.10 Tiger and later Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and should have had install discs with it. And, do you need to save any data on the iMac?

C

Reaction score
Thanks,

It is second hand and I've never had a IMac before so I have no install discs.What I would like to happen is that all the data is removed and the computer could run Windows.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

That model iMac officially supports running windows via Boot Camp (with Mac OS X installed) or in a virtual machine within Parallels or VMware Fusion. It doesn't support installing Windows directly to a blank drive, as there are no Mac hardware drivers built into Windows.

In addition, due to its age, the latest version of Mac OS X it will run is 10.11.6 El Capitan, and it won't support the latest versions of Windows in Boot Camp:
-Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp
-Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp
-Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant

You may be able to run newer versions of Windows in Parallels or VMware Fusion, but you would need to find an older version of those as well, since the current versions will to run on your iMac and/or El Capitan.

There may be workarounds out there to install Windows directly on that model iMac, but it isn't something I have done or recommend.

C

Reaction score
T
No worries.

That model iMac officially supports running windows via Boot Camp (with Mac OS X installed) or in a virtual machine within Parallels or VMware Fusion. It doesn't support installing Windows directly to a blank drive, as there are no Mac hardware drivers built into Windows.

In addition, due to its age, the latest version of Mac OS X it will run is 10.11.6 El Capitan, and it won't support the latest versions of Windows in Boot Camp:

You may be able to run newer versions of Windows in Parallels or VMware Fusion, but you would need to find an older version of those as well, since the current versions will to run on your iMac and/or El Capitan.

There may be workarounds out there to install Windows directly on that model iMac, but it isn't something I have done or recommend.

C
Hi
No worries.

C

Hi Cory,
Thanks very much for the advice, I have looked at boot camp asst and feel that will be the best option for me to use windows even if it is an older version. I'm cool with that.

Thanks again and if I get stuck I will Definately post here again.

Best wishes bro

Ask a Question