SOLVED Setting up new user on Mac computer

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Mac for the first time about 3 months ago and set it up as me, the sole user. My wife uses the machine often, as well. Just recently, i realized that i could see my text messages but she couldn't see hers. So i set her up as a new user with all of the same rights as me. After spending a little time and effort to get the text messages up and available to her, i also realized that i was starting from scratch to develop everything else, like the desktop apps and what is in Finder, etc.

So the main question is this. Is there any way to set up a new user that has access and can see everything (on the desktop) and have all of the same capabilities that i do, but not have to go through the trouble of setting everything up as i did initially. Is there some way , by setting rights, privileges, or sharing (everything, not just selected files), to have the new user to be able to see an identical view of what I see on my userid, except they can now pull up their own text messages?

By the way, i have the Apple M1 chip and working currently with macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

Thanks for any insights.

Bill

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Adding the additional user is the way to separate the text messages in the Messages application. But, because of macOS security, there isn't any way to share access to the files in your account (Desktop/Documents/etc.) with hers other than using the Macintosh HD > Users > Shared folder, which all users can access (read & write).

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Adding the additional user is the way to separate the text messages in the Messages application. But, because of macOS security, there isn't any way to share access to the files in your account (Desktop/Documents/etc.) with hers other than using the Macintosh HD > Users > Shared folder, which all users can access (read & write).

Hope that helps.

C
Thanks Cory for that feedback.

Bill

Ask a Question