Won't remember my settings/username/etc.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a new mac user. Got it several weeks ago and still learning new things out about the interface. I traded my pc for a powerbook.

Anyway,

Everything has been running fine and great and I was messing around with some settings a couple days ago. For some reason when I restarted my computer and logged back in none of my settings are remembered. (ie - mail program won't bring up my gmail, no music in itunes, no pictures, etc. I have a folder under users in the mac hd titled jake that has all my music, photos, etc, but if I take all those and transfer them to the random newowner folder they won't stay after a restart or shut down.

Also, I've tried renaming the newowner folder to jake and that won't even stay. My background changes, everything. Hopefully it's something really simple but I have no idea what to do.

If anyone can help walk me through this I'd be extremely grateful.

I'd love to rename the newowner folder to something else and keep all my files organized but it's not happening. Help!

Thanks,
Jake

Reaction score
Jake,

You must have logged in as another user and not jake. You can try to log out and re-log as jake (you'll need to know that password). Renaming the folder won't work in this case. Users' folders are actually created under System Preferences > Accounts.

Ask a Question