Modify user account settings

Reaction score
Hi.

Background: I replaced my old MacBook (Leopard) with MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.6). While at the Apple Store, we set up an admin account (Administrator "A"). At home, I used Migration Assistant to move my files over (Administrator "B"). I didn't know that I had to restart to get it to take effect. Instead, since I saw no changes, I thought Migration Asst wasn't working so I manually dragged most of the files to the new laptop via a portable hdd and put them on the "A" side.

Problem: After I did the restart, I realized there were two user accounts (both admin privileges). On the "B" Side, some of the files I had full power over, while others would not allow me to manage (no file editing, renaming, etc) because it was looking for me to be the "A" administrator. Additionally, I had about 100GB of files I transferred over. Seems now I have 200GB used - it appears as though everything is duplicated - "A" side and "B" side. I've done "Command - I" and tried to give myself write and read privileges and ensured that they were unlocked. Still, I can not edit those files. Eventually, I will erase the "A" side but not until I get full admin privileges to all files on the "B" side.

Questions:
- How do I erase old administrator lock outs so I have full control over those files on the "B" side?
- When I finally do delete the "A" side, will it auto delete all the files attached to that side (i.e. freeing up 100GB on my new drive)?
- Will I have access to ALL files on the "A" side that I am currently restricted access to?
- If not, how do I turn off the old administrator restrictions?
- Better put: how do I make myself the owner of all files again?
- Finally, what is the proper way to delete the other user account?

NOTE: Deleting the "A" side should be easy. Before I do however, I'd like to turn off all file admin restrictions on the "B" side so I can manage those files without the fear of not being able to edit them.

Sure hope this makes sense.

Reaction score
Hi
Do you actually have 2 user accounts? This can easily be found out by going to
/users

Ask a Question