Service shows in menu but not right click

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new to automator so please pardon my ignorance. I have searched a good bit for an answer but finally decided I would come to a forum to ask directly. Thanks in advance for any help.

So I have created multiple services for different applications and they never show up in the right click menu.

For example:
I set up a new service for adding the date to a text edit document. I set "Service receives" to "no input" in "TextEdit". I then added an action to "Get Value of Variable "Today's date"" which inputs to "Set Contents of TextEdit Document". I run the service in automator with a TextEdit document open, and it works. I go over to TextEdit and hit the dropdown menu, go to "Services" and it is there and works. But when I right click within TextEdit, the service does not show up. What gives? Am I missing a step?

Thanks again for any help!

Reaction score
So I have created multiple services for different applications and they never show up in the right click menu.
In Lion, The Services Menu is under the Menu with the App Name (TextEdit) not right click. The best you seem to be able to do to make it quick to use is add a Keyboard Shortcut in the Services Preference.

Reaction score
In Lion, The Services Menu is under the Menu with the App Name (TextEdit) not right click. The best you seem to be able to do to make it quick to use is add a Keyboard Shortcut in the Services Preference.

Thanks for the reply!
I am currently running Snow Leopard, although I have tried it on both for testing purposes, with no luck on either OS. Any thoughts on Snow Leopard? Also, can I make the keyboard shortcut strictly for TextEdit?

Ask a Question