Secretive Notes

Reaction score
Hello all,
Some questions concerning NOTES on my MacBook Pro [late 2013 Big Sur 11.1]:

Notes are a kind of mysterious, secretive, I think. I discovered that when I wanted to set some preferences, but I couldn't.

First of all: where are they stored? On my Mac ore elsewhere? I did not find them in iCloud. Are they hidden? How can I figure that out?

Secondly: I wanted to change some colour settings. Because when I do a 'search' in a note - or a search in all notes - search results appear on a yellow background. But links I stored in notes also have a standard yellow text colour. Confusing! How could I change colours?

How do I know there are multiple search results in one note? Is scrolling the only way? Then of course I need a striking colour!

All this fuss because my Notes are important for me. They contain quickly accessible information, like important numbers, links, 'how to''s, etc. Kind of assistance also for my failing memory!

Who can help me? Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Apple has made several big changes to the Notes application over the past few versions of macOS and iOS.

-Your Notes may be synced to iCloud if you have that enabled in Internet Accounts > iCloud.
-Notes are stored locally in your hidden User > Library folder > Containers > Notes. But, I wouldn't go digging around in there, as the formatting has changed and I wouldn't want you to lose any that you have now.

This is the place to start:
Notes User Guide for macOS Big Sur

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks Cory! The link to the User Guide I knew. It's a pity I cannot set colour preferences to make things more legible.
Dirk

Ask a Question