saving on internal and external hd?

Reaction score
Hi there!! I have downloaded files to my external hd and everything is there but the same amount of space has been taken on my inter al hd. Where could my browser (firefox) have placed it? I searched by file name with no success....

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you check in Firefox ~> Preferences~>General there's a Download section where you can see the "download to" location and change it to wherever you choose.

Reaction score
If you check in Firefox ~> Preferences~>General there's a Download section where you can see the "download to" location and change it to wherever you choose.
Loll yeah i know that, ive already selected my directed folder in firefox pref thats why its in my external hd but i dont understand about my internal meory going equally down...

Reaction score
because FireFox also caches stuff on your main drive.

Safari is a better Mac browser.

Reaction score
Ok yeah thats what i thought! But where is stocked or how can i remove it from there if i cant find the files with spotlight??

Reaction score
The cache files are not spotlighted because they are not permeant. They will be in your Library folder.

Reaction score
The cache files are not spotlighted because they are not permeant. They will be in your Library folder.
i just checked my library for firefox cashes and just found a "profiles" folder empty :( ... i also checked elsewhere to see if it could be and didn't find anything :/
This thing is really weird
Edit: ok now my hd space is constitantly dropping/changing -__-

Last edited:
Reaction score
so you looked in the caches folder?

Edit: OS X manages the caches too

OMG i just find where it was all "cashed": Library> Application support> Firefox> Profiles> k490gc8f.default> indexedDB
(i found it manually) the problem is that i normally use safari or chrome but i downloaded things from my friends mega folder. This website suggest using firefox to dl from them. (i tried with saf but it's true it was better with firefox... anyway)

Thank you Kaveman!
P.S. I'm planning a 2 months trip to new zealand for next year!! :)

Reaction score
I use Chrome for Mega, and if I really need to use a site that uses Flash. The rest of the time I use Safari and have uninstalled Flash completely. The important thing with Chrome is that it's a major resource-hog. Only use it when you need it, and quit from the Chrome menu whenever you've finished using it... (Activity Monitor will show you what I mean!)

Reaction score
works really well with Chrome, thats what we use.

Cool, I'm sure you will have a great trip. If you are coming to Dunedin let me know.

well it looks like it does the same thing with chrome now, saving in some cashe folder. But now i can't find it -___- it is really annoying now

Reaction score
they all do it! files come down in small packets these are built into the single large file in the cache, then moved into the location you specify. Its how browser work. Then sometime in the future the browser or OS X purges the cache, this goes on all the time, images, downloads, web pages.

If you restart the computer with the S key held down it will purge all the caches, but it will then run slow until it rebuilds them.

Reaction score
they all do it! files come down in small packets these are built into the single large file in the cache, then moved into the location you specify. Its how browser work. Then sometime in the future the browser or OS X purges the cache, this goes on all the time, images, downloads, web pages.

If you restart the computer with the S key held down it will purge all the caches, but it will then run slow until it rebuilds them.

so until i do not S + restart there will always be "2 gig" of caches???

Reaction score
It's up to the App to manage the cache, the space should come back when its needed. Sometimes when you Quit the App it will do its housekeeping. Totally depends on the App, when it will reclaim the space for you. Another advantage of Safari, better cache management.

You could try Clear Browsing Data from the Chrome menu.

Reaction score
well it looks like it does the same thing with chrome now, saving in some cashe folder. But now i can't find it -___- it is really annoying now
i'm having a similar problem. it keeps generating an old page of website, but the page is updated on other browsers. I've downloaded appcleaner, removed google and dragged thru app cleaner, and it still came back. Ideas??

Ask a Question