Safari rerouting tumblr to safe.txmblr.com and certificate issues

Reaction score
Why does my Safari reroute the tumblr URL to safe.txmblr.com and say that the certificate could be fake? It may be related to Avast, or possibly some sort of keychain error.

I recently installed extensions from the Safari trusted page, but started getting annoying prompts, deleted the extensions, and deleted the safari extensions file from the Keychain Access program. I'm afraid this may somehow be the cause of my current woes.

I've tried just trusting the certificate but it still does it every time I use the URL. Chrome doesn't have the issue, but Firefox couldn't even trust the certificate for Google for some reason. Safari is my preferred browser, hence the effort.

Thx in advance for your help, this is my 1st post, I'm a newbie.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7030469

My specs:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15", late 11)

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 2.12.18 AM copy.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 367
Reaction score
Avast Freeware was the culprit after all. Apparently the software replaces trusted certificates with their own, causing authentication issues with different browsers.
http://www.thesafemac.com/avasts-man-in-the-middle/

Here's a quick troubleshoot for pesky certificate prompts:

- delete Avast from Applications
- update Safari and restart computer
- system preferences / date & time settings : make sure this is on auto, uncheck and recheck even if it is.
- Safari preferences / privacy / delete cookies and website data
- Go to Keychain Access/ Keychain Access menu (next to ) and select “Keychain First Aid” from the menu list. Enter the current user password, then check the “Verify” box, followed by choosing the “Start” button. Next, choose the “Repair” radio box and then “Start” again.
-Relaunch Safari and visit the website(s) again

Deleting Avast was the main thing that helped me, but perhaps one of, or a combination of, these solutions can help you too.

This has been a fulfilling 1st thread.

-kjon
Wink-Tongue.png

Ask a Question